Math Workshop and basal?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 25, 2010.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2010

Anyone try math workshop and the Scott Foresman Addison Wesley Mathematics basal? I know some of you are sick of my questions like this!

3. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

I use the Scott Foresman Addison Wesley Mathematics basal and do math workshop. I normally take the topic and teach it during small groups. It works really well for me. I also have thought about using the diagnostic tests to start grouping my students for each unit.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2010

Do you do a mini-lesson first? We got a smartboard last year, and that radically changed the way I taught math - and the kids loved it, but I still want to go more towards a "workshop" model. Any suggestions? I'd love to a generic schedule of your math period. We have 6o minutes total for math. Thanks!

5. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

I am currently working on a my schedule for next year. It will be
    10-15 min minilesson
    20 min small group
    20 min small group
    10 min individual conferences

I only have 10 students this year so I will only be doing two small groups a day. In the past I had 3 groups. My low group would always get 20 minutes but my medium and high group might only get 15 minutes a day. Just depended on my schedule each day.

I just got a smartboard as well in the middle of the year last year. I plan to use the smartboard for my minilesson and I also use the smartboard as one of my workstations while I am meeting with a group.

I have learned that I have to supplement addition and subtraction fact practice with the scotts foresman addison wesley basal. So I would always have a fact practice workstation as well.

How long have you been using the SFAW basal?

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2010

This will be my third year. I've never been "trained" in all aspects of the program - I'm sure there are things I would love to use, but all I know is the "textbook" (workbook) and homework book. I use many, many fact practice sheets - I don't think the "book" concentrates on them enough!

7. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

Me either!! It teaches the skills needed but not near enough practice.

Do you use the homework book as homework or for practice during the day?

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2010

I send pages home each week for practice - along with other pages as necessary. I must admit, I'm a bit of a "homework" over-doer. I don't grade my kids on each homework assignment, but I send a pretty hefty weekly packet home, and they are graded on whether or not they honestly attempted to complete the work, and whether it was on time - I count it as a conduct grade. A bit off-topic, I know, lol.