Math work on the wall

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by snickers, Oct 14, 2007.

1. snickers

snickers Rookie

Oct 14, 2007

I taught Kindergarten for the past five years, so I'm used to having lots of things to staple on the walls to show student work. I now teach 3 90-minute 5th grade Math classes and I'm having trouble finding work to put on the outside hallway walls.

Any suggestions of things that you are doing in October that I could put up?:unsure:

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 14, 2007

My kids are learning percent of a given #. We looked through ads from the newspaper and found the sale price for the items. The kids cut out the ads and pasted them on the top of a plain white paper. On the bottom half they calculated the final cost.

4. snickers

snickers Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

I like that. Thanks!

5. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Oct 15, 2007

just wanted to say i feel the same way! i had student work hanging EVERYWHERE in first grade and now i really struggle to find non-worksheet type work to post in the room.

6. snickers

snickers Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

Thanks for telling me that so I know I'm not the only one. During the first week of school, I had the students write "Math is like a ...because...". They put things like Math is like a ladder because there's lots of steps to it. They came up with some really good ones. I put those up and had them illustrate them. That was before I had to get into the grind of things. Now I'm stuck.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2007

We were working on geometry...angles, types of polygons, and types of triangles, so I had my kids make posters about one of the vocabulary words with an illustration and a definition. great to hang up, plus a good reminder!

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2007

1.Graphs--all types measuring everything from pumpkins to favorite costumes.
    2.Fall fraction flower pots: students make displays of flower pots in which a few out of each group of flowers are a certain color. They write the fraction on each pot, then have some signs with questions such as "What fraction would represent all of the red flowers? Lift up the flap to see if you are correct." Each sign would be a folded piece of paper with the fold at the top. The answer would be inside. If you had exactly 100 flowers, you could ask "What percent are yellow spotted daylillies?" You could also have 50 flowers, (or 25) so they would have to multiply 2 to get the percent (or 4).
    3.Gallon man makes a great display and a good visual lesson. I usually have them make alien creatures instead of men. I'll write the directions if anyone doesn't know of this activity.
    4.How about word problems written by groups of kids, illustrated and displayed in the hall?

Tell me what unit is coming up and I might be able to find one.

9. snickers

snickers Rookie

Oct 19, 2007

We are starting multiplication/division of decimals. I wonder what kind of problem solving questions they could make up with halloween and the answers could be under the pumpkins?...