Math Warm-ups

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lainy2121, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Lainy2121

Lainy2121 Rookie

Jul 11, 2015

I'm looking for new warm-up routines for a 5th grade math class. Last year I gave out a sheet on Monday that had different problems for each day. I want to do something more interactive and verbal this year. I'm thinking of doing number talks a couple days and maybe a Boggle type game with equations another day. What do you do as a warm-up?

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 12, 2015

Marcy Cook's Tile Teasers. We do one every day as a warm-up. Since there are multiple solutions for each problem, students record unique answers on sticky notes and place them on the chart paper after we have verified the answer is correct and different from any others. We keep track of how many days they were able to solve the problem in a row...when they don't get an answer at all we call it a stumper and the same problem appears the next day with a clue. I have a running chart of how many consecutive days they go without a stumper and how many solutions they were able to find. The goal, of course, is to keep the streak of consecutive solutions going and to beat the high number of solutions we found for a previous problem.