Math VS Literacy

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 31, 2011

Just wondering - - how much time is spent on teaching literacy vs teaching math in your classroom?

Last year I did an 90 minutes literacy and 60 minutes of math each day. Now I'll be at a new school where the previous teacher taught literacy everyday for 2 1/2 hours and math for less than an hour (including calendar) four out of five days per week.

Thoughts?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

We have 90 literacy and 60 math as well. But math was only recently change to 60, it was under 40 before.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

I know the regular ed teachers have a 90 minute literacy block and a 60 minute math block. The "literacy" block does not include writing though (I know some schools lump them together under "language arts").

In my room, my reading intervention groups are 30-45 minutes 4 days a week depending on the age/ability level of the kids, and my math groups are 20-30 minutes 2-3 days a week (other than my one "severe" case who I saw daily for math). However, my math groups tend to be a lot smaller. I have up to 5 kids together in a reading group, but in math I never had more than 2 kids together, and I often saw kids 1:1. Their skill sets were just all over the place and I felt they would benefit from a smaller time frame really working individually on what they needed to learn rather than a larger time frame with more kids where the lesson wasn't as tailored to them.

I usually saw writing groups only once a week, but I also tried to incorporate writing into reading group whenever possible. I wish I had more time for writing- but I'm in a pull-out intervention program, not a self-contained room, so I can't just be pulling the kids out from the gen ed stuff non-stop! Many students had reading, math, and writing goals, so I couldn't be pulling the same kids out three times a day (to work on all 3 of those subjects) or they'd never be in their regular ed rooms.

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

I have 40 minutes for reading and 40 minutes for math. We are completely departmentalized, so students switch 5 times a day. I do replacement instruction so my schedule is based on the regular classrooms.

This year I will be doing something different, and the 5th sp ed teacher & I will do mixed groups for a 1 hour reading block daily.

6. LifeSkills

LifeSkills Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

Reading & Math

I have 90 minutes for reading and 90 minutes for math daily. I have a self-contained pre-k.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2011

I have 40 minutes of math (not including calendar) and 90 minutes of literacy a day. My students last year could not handle 60 minutes of math and since I will be having the same kids this year, I'm sure that I will have to do a 40 minute math class again.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2011

What did that teacher do for 2.5 hours of literacy Zoom? I guess if you add DEAR time to my literacy block my students will have up to 2 hours of literacy a day.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 1, 2011

My kids will get 90 minutes for math, 90 minutes for reading, and 90 minutes for language and writing.

10. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 1, 2011

Two hours of reading groups/centers in the morning (!?? This is K-2 btw...) And then 30 minutes of journal writing or drawing in the afternoon. I'm thinking, how on earth am I going to get a 6 year old to write or draw for 30 minutes? I couldn't even get my middle schoolers to do that!

I just don't know about this... Seems like an awful long time...

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2011

I'm with you on that one Zoom. I guess you can also add teacher read at the beginning of the year and then have the students do some sort of response. That will take up at least 20 minutes, lol. Journaling will take 30 minutes if you do some modelling at the beginning of the lesson.

12. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 1, 2011

We have 90 minutes of Communication Arts and 90 minutes of mathematics, every day. Sometimes we split our mathematics periods to 2 - 45 mins blocks depending on where our specials are in our schedule. In addition, we also have 40 mins. blocks with 3 times a week.