Math Tubs/Centers

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jakmcgraw, Oct 18, 2008.

1. jakmcgraw

jakmcgraw Rookie

Oct 18, 2008

I have a quick question! I have been looking at a bunch of Kindergarten websites and have been noticing some teachers leave out A LOT of math centers. Like, there are a lot of math centers available to the kids at all times. I was just wondering how many math tubs/centers you leave out at a time.
    In my class, I have 7 tubs, but they are geared toward what concept we are studying. I was just wondering if it would be better to just leave a bunch of tubs out for each center group to choose from...maybe not neccessarily geared only toward a certain concept. thanks for your help!!

3. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Oct 18, 2008

I think you will find there are different opinions on this. It all depends on how much stuff you have and how structured you want to be with your centers approach. Having every activity related to each specific concept you are working on is a lot of work to keep up.

One thing you could do is have one main tub for the specific concept you are working on and have the kids work with that tub first and then after they do that one for a certain amount of time, you could let them pick another tub of free choice. Those tubs would be reinforcement activities for concepts you have already covered.