Math Thanksgiving Activities?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by mnteacherguy, Nov 19, 2006.

1. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Nov 19, 2006

Any ideas for a Thanksgiving math activity?? I want to do something fun with the kids before our Thanksgiving break. I am 8th grade.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2006

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 19, 2006

Why not have a collection of recipes, then have them review them and write a grocery list from it. For example, 3-4 recipes may call for a total of 14 eggs. The grocery list would say 2 dz eggs. Some things they may just have to put "cups" etc. If it is multiple tbsps, convert to the best measurement. Also you can have them double/tripling recipes.

5. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Nov 19, 2006

Mine is also a recipe idea - making a snack mix based on proportion of one ingredient to another. Only give the exact amount of one ingredient and directions on how to figure out the rest. (x=3, there is twice as much y as z, and 1/3 as much z as x...) Dry ingredients are a must (cereal, pretzels, nuts - if no allergies, m&m's, raisins, marshmallows, etc.). (Goes along with Comparing & Scaling book of 7th Connected Math.)

We are also doing a mac'n'cheese group challenge soon - using a box of mac'n'cheese, figure out possible dimensions for the same volume but less packaging. (Goes along with Filling & Wrapping book of 7th Connected Math.)