Math Teachers... I need some advice :)

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TxMaThTeAcHeR, Nov 3, 2010.

1. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Nov 3, 2010

Hi Guys!
    So I have the wonderful job of creating my own classes at the school I teach at. I get to create my own calendar for the classes, syllabus, ect. While this may sound fun, doing it for 6 classes every 12 weeks is very tedious, and I am running out of ideas for the classes... The first trimester, I am teaching a geometry and consumer math class. The geometry class I can extend, so that's not a problem, but I need an idea for what to replace the consumer math class with? It can basically be ANYTHING I want. I teach at an alternative high school, so the kids range in abilities, so it can't be like a calculus class. Anyone have any ideas on a fun topic to teach for 12 weeks?
    Thanks!

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 3, 2010

I did a mini-unit on formal logic with my 9th graders one year....they loved it!

4. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 3, 2010

How about a semester of basic trig? Advances them mathematically and can be very interesting!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2010

What have you covered this far in the consumer math course? Can't you add in there?

How about a course on investments? or on banking?

An algebra class focused soley on verbal problems, to help them tackle practical algebra?

6. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Nov 7, 2010

Chess maybe?