Math Teachers, help a brother out

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Aaron Nicholas, Jul 12, 2020.

?

Lowest level of college math you can take and still be COMFORTABLE teaching K-8 Math

1. None required. Probably be a chef and teach K-8 Math effectively

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. If you have an undergrad degree, then you can be effective in K-8 Math classroom

66.7%
  3. Good K-8 math teachers have taken at least college level differential calculus

33.3%
  4. All K-8 math teachers should have extensive and thorough understanding of university level math

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. you can be a great teacher and not a great mathematician but still be successful in K-8 math

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron Nicholas

Aaron Nicholas New Member

Jul 12, 2020

I've been teaching music for 13 years. I want to move to the regular classroom and my school placed me in middle school math. I will be credentialed as a K-8 gen. ed teacher soon, but I'm worried about my math chops. What do you think....

3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Jul 12, 2020

What are the credentialing requirements for k-8 math in your state? Does gen ed cover it? As far as math competence in particular goes, I think the specific grade you are teaching will make a difference.

bella84 likes this.
  4. Aaron Nicholas

Jul 12, 2020

CaliforniaRPCV
    I'm in CA. So I will have multiple subject credential for K-8. I will be teaching math to 5, 6, and 7 this year. 6-8 next year.

5. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Jul 12, 2020

If the school and the state say you are qualified, who are you to argue☺

Aaron Nicholas likes this.
  6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2020

I would argue that the knowledge needed to teach math K-3 is much different than that needed to teach 4-8. Both require specific coursework, but it’s not the same coursework. For your teaching assignment, I would expect you to have some additional math coursework beyond the basics but not necessarily at the highest levels of math.

readingrules12 likes this.
  7. Aaron Nicholas

Jul 12, 2020

hahahaha.....true enough.

8. Aaron Nicholas

Jul 12, 2020

Thanks Bella. I appreciate your input. Time will tell....

9. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 12, 2020

If you are only teaching math in a CA public middle school, you are generally expected to have enough math fluency to pass the first two math CSETs. They cover Algebra (including Linear and Abstract) and Geometry, with a bit of Probability and Stats. I think those are a good measure of whether you have the foundation to be a middle school math teacher.

10. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jul 13, 2020

I think there’s qualified to teach it and teaching it and being qualified doesn’t mean you know how to teach it. Sometimes you need different pedagogy, different ways to get to work out the right answer because your students will be a diverse bunch who will learn and understand in different ways. So if your knowledge is just so so, you may not be able to be that effective.
    Then again, a University Maths professor who will be over qualified to teach middle school maths may not be able to relate and teach it in a way middle school kids will understand.
    So what I’m saying is that if you feel that your chops in K-8 maths may not be up to it, you should brush up before teaching it. The obstacles you encounter in your brushing up process will probably be the obstacles your students will encounter too. You will be so much better equipped to be empathetic to them and teach them more effectively through your brushing up journey.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2020

For the age levels OP listed, I would say he needs to be comfortable and competent through Algebra and a decent understanding of probability and statistics, with the ability to actually teach it to those who aren't gifted in math. I know that if OP was teaching my child, I would, for sure, like to know that they could teach to that level.

12. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 21, 2020

Honestly, when I was teaching 5th grade math, I had to study it. But once I had it it was pretty easy. There are many books and resources to help you!

Aaron Nicholas likes this.