Math Teachers -CMP question

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by myangel52, Aug 18, 2008.

1. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

To the math teachers who use Connected Math...

What book do you start off with for the year? I am teaching 7th grade math, and haven't been able to figure out what order the books are used in my district. I figured out what CMP says the order should be, but....

How do you start off the year?

3. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I'm a brand new 7th grade math teacher, and my school uses a combo of Connected Math and a more traditional text. One of the other teachers has been a huge help to me and gave me her schedule for the year. We start out with Accentuate the Negative for the regular class, and Moving Straight Ahead for the advanced (after an intro unit). If you'd like, pm me with your email and I'll send you the schedule.

4. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 18, 2008

I teach 6th grade math so I can't help you with the 7th grade titles - sorry. However, our regular text book tells us which Connected Math book goes with that chapter in the book. That way we know which one to use. This year I'm going to use a little less Connected Math and a little more book - the Connected Math seems to take a long time and the kids get really bored after awhile. I plan to use the Connected Math because I think the examples are so much more realistic, but just to supplement some with the regular text to keep the kids focused. Anyway, does your text help with which book should be used at all?

5. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

You guys are lucky to have two books to work with. We only have Connected Math. I taught 6th grade two years ago, and I also noticed that it just seemed to go so slowly at times, and a more "traditional" approach would have worked better in several instances. I can't wait to get in touch with the other 7th grade math teacher... pick his brain, and find out the schedule and whatnot.

6. pghcitygirl

pghcitygirl New Member

Aug 18, 2008

I love CMP -- It isn't always family friendly but it really gets the kids thinking. Here is the order I use in 7th grade

Variables and Patterns
    Stretching and Shrinking
    Comparing and Scaling
    What Do You Expect?
    Accentuate the Negative
    Moving Straight Ahead
    Filling and Wrapping
    Data Distributions

7. faeryofpurejoy

faeryofpurejoy Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

I had to use 8th grade ones because I noticed that the 7th grade books were for 6th grade AR standards. Be sure that yours line up right and trade if you have to.

8. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

Apparently, in our district, a few of the books are not used -- I think that they were Accentuate the Negative and Comparing and scaling. It would appear that Data Around Us has never been used -- every single book was in mint condition when I counted them, and not a single one was missing.

I have looked at our state standards, and these books matched up decently (not perfect) to the old set. However, the state just changed all K-8 math standards this spring. I have tried to see how the books align with it, and it seems to do all right still.

I think that there is only one or two (out of the 4) old 7th grade math teachers left in our district. I know that the 2 of us at my school are new. But all the classes have to be somewhat aligned to each other. I hope that we get a chance to get together really soon.

Thanks for your help, everyone! :)

9. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 23, 2008

Data About Us is a 6th grade book. It's actually the one I start the year with. We start our year with a metric unit that's really fun and then start Data About Us. It's a great way to get the kids interested and excited about starting the school year. Too bad that book hasn't been used - it really does have some great problems to get the kids thinking, but I think it's definately too young for 7th graders!

10. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

Yes, and that is what our 6th graders start with, too. The seventh grade series has a book called Data Around Us.... I know, very similar name, but it uses different data in slightly different ways. I liked using Data About Us in the 6th grade to start the year.... that was fun.

I had emailed the other 7th grade math teacher that I know is sticking around earlier this summer, but haven't heard anything yet. My fingers are crossed...

11. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 24, 2008

Oops - poor reading on my part! Sorry!!! It's a bummer they don't use it . . .

12. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

No, don't be sorry! It is a really easy mistake, since the titles are SOOOOO similar. I think that they should have worked a bit harder to come up with a different title, because they are too similar. After I get in touch with the current teachers, I will try to figure out what the reasoning is for leaving out specific books. :) If nothing else, but for my own curiosity.

13. quesarahsarah

quesarahsarah New Member

Sep 1, 2008

help w/ pacing?

I am in a similar situation as the other post, I want to try CMP and integrate it with our more traditional text. Any help/scheduling info you might be able to share would be appreciated!

14. sochiwateach

sochiwateach Rookie

Sep 17, 2008

question with pacing as well

My 6th grade class started with Prime Time. We finished chapter 1 today and are taking the first check up test tomorrow. I did a verbal review today and was surprised that many of the kids are still confused on the concept of factors and multiples as well as proper factor. In playing the factor and product games, they were mostly right on yet in talking with them about the reflection questions, there was a lot of class confusion. I am wondering if I went a bit too fast. Many of my 6th graders have never taken a content classroom test before - just state mandated tests so I am concerned that they will have a lot of trouble both studying tonight and doing the test tomorrow. I went over study skills and previewed the test for them but I think I only had a fraction of the class attention.

Does anyone have some advice for either pacing or prepping 6th graders for their first content test?

Thanks

15. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Sep 17, 2008

We start the year with Data About Us - I thought that was the Connected Math series that corresponded to Chapter 1. (But it could just be the book series we use) I could very well be wrong, but I do know that is the book we start with. We don't do Prime Time until a few months from now. I find it amazing how difficult the concept of mulitples and factors are to them. They can understand it in a game format and then a few minutes later do not have a clue! Aauugghh. I'd see how the test goes and then decide if you need to reteach. Good luck . . . we had our first test today and I haven't even started to correct them yet - I'm scared! We have a field trip tomorrow and Friday so I have through the weekend to get them graded!