math teacher interview

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by mathandme, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mathandme

mathandme Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Hi guys, I 'm having an interview in two days with the math department together with the principal for a math teaching position in a high school.
    I graduated with a math degree and was just accepted in an alternative certification program. I have no idea how the interview will look like, what kind of questions they will ask me.
    If they hire me , it will be my first year as a teacher.
    How should I get prepared for the interview? Any input will be of great help.
    Thanks a lot.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 18, 2006

Alice, where are you?

4. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

mathandme I am in the same shoes as you are. I recent obtained my degree in math and I am going the alternative route. One of the treads here that really helped me gain confidence and I think helped me "dazzle" them at the interview was located in the forum "NEW! Job Seekers" under "Let's Start some interview practice"

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=19383

Good Luck! :D

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

Hi guys, I was watching the kids outside in the pool till about 9:15 pm ... it's still brutally hot in NY :)

For starters, know that that math certification is a huge help. Schools are always short of math teachers.

That said, of course, they still want someone who has a reasonable chance of success in a high school classroom.

The basics you already know: dress professionally, be on time, be friendly and open to what they have to say.

Aside from the questions on the interview thread, some questions you'll want to ask:

-can you fill me in on the math syllabus? Is it the same one you learned as a child (If you're not in NY, the odds are good.)

-are the kids allowed to use calculators? If so, what kind? Do they all have access?

-Do all the kids take 4 years of math? Are there electives? What are they?

-What's usual in the way of extra help? As a math teacher, you may very well find yourself staying 4-5 afternoons per week to offer it to kids (particularly if you're teaching proofs in geometery!)

-Do the kids take departmentalized exams? (trimesters,midterms..) Who makes them up?

-Is there a school policy on homework? Plan to give about 20 minutes worth a night, every night.

As an alt cert, you'll probably get some questions on how you plan to handle disruptions. Generally, keeping the kids busy from bell to bell tends to cut them down. Transitions are problematic, so you'll want to establish routines.

Also, I'll share one of my favorite math teacher questions:(find a way to mention it at the interview!) Sometimes you've finished an explanation, and you sense that you didn't get through to them, yet there are no questions. That's when you ask; "Is anyone so confused that you don't even know what to ask??" Inevitably, there will be some sheepish grins as the hands go up. That means you need to start your explanation over and do the whole thing very slowly. THe kids will appreciate it.

6. mathandme

mathandme Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Thank you all so much for your replies, that was very insightful to me.
    I have a specific question in my mind and I don't really know what the right answer is : what role do you think the principal has or should have, how should your relationship as a teacher be with your principal ?
    Thanks again.

7. mathandme

mathandme Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Never mind, I've just found the answer to my question in the thread.

8. mathandme

mathandme Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

Hi everyone!! That forum is awsome, I spent a couple of hours reading ( especially the thread you gave me JustWondering) and I went to my interview. They were very amazed by my answers and I will be starting very soon!! Love you guys!! Thanks a bunch!!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2006

You'll be starting soon--- so you got the job?? Wonderful!! Congratulations!!!!

10. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 22, 2006

Congrats!!! Good Luck as well!