Math Teacher - 2nd Cert. for S.S.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JimG, Jul 22, 2020.

1. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jul 22, 2020

Going into my ninth year of teaching high school math, I have recently began to ponder the idea of pursuing a second certification for social studies, aiming to potentially slide into such a position if one opens up within my district in future years. The additional certification would merely involve preparing for and passing a content test.

Has anybody done something similar? What advice would anyone have to offer?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 22, 2020

Math and English often come with so many other stressors to improve performance that I would consider doing the social studies.

My DH moved from math to computers after 22 years and absolutely loves it! He still loves math, but he doesn’t miss the stress of being a core teacher in a highly assessed content.

I have considered adding social studies, but I’m so close to retirement I’m not sure it would be worth it.

JimG likes this.
  4. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jul 25, 2020

I had not even considered the aspect of math being a highly scrutinized testing area, but that is a good point.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 25, 2020

Virginia lets teachers add a new certificate just by taking a Praxis exam. I've spent my summer taking the English, Social Studies, Earth Science, and Middle School Science tests (thank you, Praxis Test At Home!). I'm still debating exactly how many of those I want to add to my certificate though, as well as whether I'd like to take the Biology or Chemistry tests.