Math Suggestions

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teacherhoosier, Dec 1, 2012.

1. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Dec 1, 2012

I would appreciate any and all advice you can give me on my dilemna. I have 19 kids this year-a pretty well behaved group in general, but very low academically. I feel like we have made good gains in reading, but math is an area they are much weaker in. Our district uses EveryDay Math, and I hate it with a passion. We move around sooo much and I feel like my kids aren't mastering much. My kids who are ok in math do ok, but it is leaving my super low ones and even ones who are somewhat average but struggle in some math areas behind? Has anyone done Guided Math group-like situations similar to guided reading and had success with it? I don't know if my principal would let me deviate from EveryDay Math like that-she has told me we can supplement, but I don't think she would let me go that far..

Also, no aide, just RTI support for 30 min of math time...my RTI person is wonderful and does all she can with my low kids, but I just don't have enough support for all these needs..

I am ready to pull my hair out about this.. These ED math lessons make me feel like a failure as a teacher, and I have to fix it...I'm just not sure what to do..

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Dec 1, 2012

I'm not very familiar with Every Day Math. We don't even have a math series. We just pull things from an old series, find things online and make tons of things ourselves. I teach a whole group lesson, but also do some small group work and math stations. Would you be able to have some kids work at stations while you work with the ones that are struggling? Our P loves when we do differentiated/small group work.

4. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Dec 1, 2012

I just e-mailed my p to set up a meeting to talk about it.. pretty depressed right now....just took winter 2013NWEA and since the RIT was raised from last year, I think only 9 of my 19 kids are, according to the test, on grade level (I did have 3-4 who were close to the cut score and that I consider to be on grade level with a few areas that are weaker that we need to work on).

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Dec 2, 2012

I'm like Sara - we don't have a current "text" for math. What I've used that has helped with my (also low) kiddos are:
    lots of manipulatives (dried beans, goldfish crackers, m&ms, counters, whatever), games I either created or purchased from teacherspayteachers, foam dice & dominoes (great manipulatives that DON'T make noise, lol), math journaling (even if they can't read, they can follow along and follow the steps, which is HUGELY important), and a free math website - xtramath.org. I set my class up (we have 4 computers in our room), and they have an automatic "center" activity that is totally differentiated, because they go at their own pace! In addition, I get weekly reports on their progress!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2012

Go through your everyday math edition and highlight the lessons that can be taught quickly. I teach many of my lessons while doing calendar or morning message. Then I have some time for math groups. Mostly, my students play games or have independent work while I teach small groups. It works pretty well (and I'm still teaching everyday math).

7. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jan 20, 2013

We have been doing guided math for about a month now. I feel like there are some drawbacks to it, but I think it is the best option I have for me to be able to get my kids as much 1-1 attention and using my time and resources effectively.

I have 95 minutes for math...the first 15 minutes is calendar, and then I spend 15 minutes in a whole group lesson (the ED math lesson for the day). Students then complete 3 rotations, 15 minutes each:
    1. Work with me on the concept taught that day
    2. Some type of worksheet reviewing the concept -usually provided in the ED math book
    3. Worksheet on review concepts/ED game-depends on the lesson taught that day

Students have folders for their work, and I collect them once weekly and look over their work-I don't grade it, but look at it to help guide further instruction for students.

One of the biggest issues I am struggling with is my group size for small group instruction with me. I have 6 in my low group, 9 in my middle group, and 5 in the

My middle group is not going as well as I'd like. For only thing, its too big... based on skills/ability, they need to be split into 2 groups..

The only way to do that is pull the high group only 1-2 days a week and giving them some more independent activities to do..

I do have help during a half an hour of this time..the sped teacher comes and works with my lower group and the Title I aide works with the other kids...but there are sooo many needs.

Well, I guess the only thing to do is keep working..I've seen progress, but it's very slow...

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2013

Try math IXL for extra practice.

9. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jan 20, 2013

I'd only pull the high group once a week, if in fact they are actually "high". If they are the highest group but still only on grade level, than I'd probably do twice a week.

I only pull my high kids (very academically high) once a week. It sounds like they're getting the short end of the stick, but actually since we can cover a lot more in each session, I've found they are still getting what they need and making great progress. I still sometimes feel bad about it, but my low kids NEED to see me a lot more! I'd make sure you can get those low or middle kids in as much as possible to your small group!