Math Subtest II Brain Dump

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Malcolm, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2005

Is there anyone who took Math subtest II today who would like to pass along any relevant information, within forum and NES rules, ofcourse?

3. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Sep 10, 2005

A repeat request / cautionary statement: PLEASE conform to the FORUM guidelines:

Warning - READ BEFORE POSTING
    It was brought to our attention that when test-takers register for the CSET (or other exams by NES), they must agree to the Rules of Test Participation. One of these rules is not to disclose test content, including actual test questions. Apparently, anyone who discloses this information can be liable for monetary damages or other legal remedies.

No one running the A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums knows anything about the actual test. Therefore, we are unable to determine when posts contain actual test questions or content. Users are asked to adhere to these guidelines and are encouraged to report posts that do not.

If you have made a posting you would like to edit or delete, you may use the edit/delete link on the post to edit or delete the post. If there are posts made by other members that you have reason to believe are actual test questions or content, please use the "report post" link on the post to report it to a moderator.

What does this mean for the future of the CSET forum?

The CSET forum will NOT be closed. Registered members will still be able to:

* use forum email and private messaging
    * discuss issues surrounding the test
    * recommend study resources
    * offer support and understanding
    * vent
    * etc.

However, if you use the forum to publicly post test content, legal action could be taken against you

As a reminder, the forum rules you agree to when you register for this site state that A to Z Teacher Stuff is not responsible for postings that you make on this forum, and that you are liable for any unlawful activities. A to Z Teacher Stuff does not know anything about these tests and is unable to determine when actual test questions or content is contained in postings. You can view complete forum rules here: http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/faq.php

Jay.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2005

Gee, Jay, when did they make you a moderator? Anyway, like I said, within forum and NES rules. Can't hurt to repeat though.

5. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Sep 10, 2005

Just thought 'within forum and NES rules' mightn't be EXPLICIT enough to a chap who'd taken the test and stumbled across this site for the 1st time: enthusiasm / passion often gets the better of one's reason, what? Hence, 'moderation' => 'moderator'...

Jay.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  6. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2005

Thanks for the concern. In any case, it certainly doesn't hurt anything. If you look closely, there is a warning at the top of this forum. But I'll bet it doesn't get read much.

7. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Sep 10, 2005

If you look closely , there is a warning at the top of this forum. But I'll bet it doesn't get read much.

My sentiments exactly!

8. Join Utah

Join Utah Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

Well that was a blast.

Jay, 20 MC nailed down. FR was probably a 4-4-2-0 (at best), or 4-3-1-0 (at worst). Wadda give me? 55/45?

I hope I passed. I want to just concentrate on Subtest I now. Barf, Algebra.

Some observations:

* Every applicant had the same test (Test A).

* The "crew" didn't know what they were doing as far as clearing the calculators. "Do you know how to clear this one?" As they were rummaging through their government issued green pamphlets.

* "Taking" a subtest just to become familiar with it for future reference was pointless (at least for me it was). Bye-bye 72 dollars.

* Some Subtest II questions were downright insane and unfair, but some made you think (dare I say, those were fun?) I'm sorry, I like Geometry.

* If I failed, I know I need to study **** stats more.

9. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Sep 11, 2005

Jolly Good Show!

Oh, I'm NO authority about this (??!!!) all appearances notwithstanding!

If you nailed 20 MCQs, I'd budget for two possibilities:
    a) getting 1 / 2 of these INCORRECT
    b) getting 3/4 of the non-nailed down ones - you know, where you narrowed down the possibilities and gave it your best stab! - CORRECT!

I trust this makes sense...

On the whole then, my conjecture would be ~ 22 MCQs CORRECT.

Re FR was probably a 4-4-2-0 (at best), or 4-3-1-0 (at worst) taking your word for it, a 4-4 or 4-3 should put you over quite comfortably!

Re Every applicant had the same test (Test A), I wonder if one can be so certain about this sort of thing! Anyway, would it really matter in the larger scheme of things?

On the calculator issue, you have it down right: those troglodyte proctors couldn't reset calculator memories if the lives of bedridden Grandmas in New Orleans depended upon it! Only Mr. Brown - that sublime monument to incompetence and obliviousness who gallivants about as the FEMA bossman! - would fare worse...[Is that statement too political...I hope not!]

Some Subtest II questions were downright insane and unfair... Ah, the ambiguities that repose in that statement abound! Even I, voluble officious chap that I am - who insists on offering his unsolicited tuppence even on matters that categorically don't concern me - cannnot contrive a response! (What the deuce?!)

...some [Qs] made you think (dare I say, those were fun?). No quibbles whatsoever with that!

Jay.
    innovationguy@yahoo.com
    http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

PS. If I were you, I'd prepare myself for some inebriation-laden debauchery, what? From the looks of it, you appear to have done just fine! SMASHING JOB and all that sort of thing, don't you know!

10. Join Utah

Join Utah Rookie

Sep 11, 2005

I like it! Thanks for the analysis. You're a good guy, Jay. Extremely smart, but not pompous. Willing to help your fellow men (women, too. Pammylove, et al.) in need.

But one quote has stuck with me...

"b) Chaps in their late 30s and beyond - not surprisingly - tend to do worse: I've known poor fellows that have appeared for the tests 7-8 times! These are usually individuals that are switching careers or are middle school Math teachers."

As a right-in-the-middle-of-those-30's guy, I was insulted with this at first--namely because I fit your description exactly--but I turned it around and I am now using it as a challenge.

7-8? No way. I think (hope) I passed ST II. If not, I definitely have it for Round II. I'll be prepping for ST I soon.

Round II -- 56 days.

11. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Sep 11, 2005

I like it! Thanks for the analysis. You're a good guy, Jay. Extremely smart, but not pompous. Willing to help your fellow men (women, too. Pammylove, et al.) in need.

Thanks awfully for the compassionate words, old boy - bucks me up like I were an athlete on steroids! But women are nonpareil at this sort of judgment-making than us lads, you know, and the lady I used to go out with, retained an obstinately contrary diagnosis: Extremely pompous, but not smart!

You probably read TOO much into that opinionated piffle about Chaps in their late 30s and beyond - not surprisingly - tend to do worse: I've known poor fellows that have appeared for the tests 7-8 times!...

Was that statement TRUE and made in earnest? Certainly!

If dissected clinically, in fact, very little profundity reposed in there!

Do mid-30 year-olds fare worse than recent grads on the CSET, mutatis mutandis? Surely! Just as chaps in their mid-40s fare even worse, poor buggers - no offence meant, of course: it's just a cluck of sympathy! I coached a 45 year old Aeronautical Engineer friend of mine - plenty of Calculus in his prime, quite astute at analysis and synthesis, and quick to assimilate, that sort of thing - for about 5-6 months last year, and it wasn't the lack of fish that had him take the first 2 Subtests 3-4 times: it was just age, and the concomitant declining retentiveness, taking its implacable toll! [Now, the fellow is FULLY credentialed and teaches at the Colton school district...!]

But would it follow that most or even MANY of these fellows in their 30s take it 7-8 times? Good heavens, no! (That kind of ratiocination would be unsustainable...) But I HAVE indeed known quite a few!

Parenthetically, the average age of blokes that I interact with - those that use my Q Banks, get tutoring help and even the chaps I usedto teach at Cal State - is in the mid-to-late 30s...and in my CSET-taking experience, I found very few individuals at the Test Centre to lie in the 25+ realm, however robust that observation might be!!

So from this sort of anecdotal evidence - utterly unreliable, I hasten to add! - a mid-30s candidate would likely be a typical examinee!

Taking the test 7-8 times, naturally, doesn't speak - ill or otherwise - for the entire menagerie of blokes in that age-group! Not by a long shot. But it does say something about the wanting preparation of those particular blokes. That, I suppose, is not untenable!

Jay.
    innovationguy@yahoo.com

12. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2005

Now you tell me... I'm older than your Aeronautical Engineer friend. I don't plan on taking the Subtests as often as he did though. My retentiveness doesn't seem to have gone down. It may be in part due to the fact that I had to keep up with new technology arriving all the time and typically spent 5 or 6 weeks a year at manufacturers' schools learning it. It could be in part that any lack of retentiveness would have a VP breathing down my neck complaining about tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of dollars an hour in lost profits. Also, my discipline has gone up since I was younger. I cannot imagine sitting down and doing all this preparation on math years ago. And I have fewer competing activities in my life.

I think the reason for the dearth of math test takers in their twenties is that anyone considering teaching math at that age probably has a baccalaureate in mathematics and doesn't have to take the test. And apparently, there are darned few of them considering the statewide shortage of math teachers.

13. pammylove

pammylove Rookie

Sep 11, 2005

Join Utah,

Mid-30's? fit the description? Don't worry. Welcome to the club!

Two weeks ago, I took half day off from work and went on campus to see if I could get any of my TESOL professors to help me with the letters of rec which is a required part for credentialing's application. Believe it or not, the Charter College of Education insists on having two "original" ones, meaning that they do NOT accept any generically written recommendation/reference letters and that they must be done on the "original" forms provided in the application package! Needless to say, I paid a visit to the school and was fortunate enough to catch John, my Language Testing prof who is also our division chair. A very nice and smart guy. I've known him for 2 years pretty much. And when I presented him with the form, he thought I was going into the ESL teaching (because that's what most of the students do when they get out of this MA program). But I told him.....mmm.....not really....I was actually interested at teaching math instead. His first reaction was, "Oh, great! There is definitely a teacher shortage in the math & science field. And by you becoming a math teacher, you could also break the myth that "girls can't do math" that sort of thing."

Honestly? It has never crossed my mind that this kind of misconception even exists. In my 4 years of high school, I had had all female math teachers all along, except my very first semester in 9th grade. And I am talking about Algebra II, Trig/Precal, Cal A/B, and Cal B/C. Now that I looked back, I can't even recall having any male math teacher other than Mr. Marin, my one-semester mentor. When I went on college, yeah, things were a little different. Let me see.......can't really account for this.........but I firmly believe that I had only come across with probably 2-3 female math professors at most.

Sure, my retentiveness is bound to decline as I age (although people say Asian females tend to age gracefully ??). Oh, not to mention that the "only way" I aced the test is because "this girl works hard" and not because "this girl is mathematically articulate". :confused: Humm...that might be one of the MAJOR reasons why I've chosen to get back to school at night so that I don't just sit there and rot!

Hey, if you think you can, you can. If you believe you can, you will. Doesn't matter however many times you have to take the exam.

Good luck to you!! and to everyone else who will be taking the CSET single subject math test in the near future!!

Hopefully, my part of test involvement will cease now (or maybe until I receive my official score report in Oct). Unless......California decides to add a subtest IV?! OH NO!

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2005

Hey, everyone knows that Asians are good at math and science! :D

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2005

Test involvement ceasing? Aw, pammylove, you could always decide to teach in elementary school, and then you could take CSET-MS...

16. pammylove

pammylove Rookie

Sep 13, 2005

Multiple-Choice-Question:

* Why Asians tend to do well in math and science?

A. Because they are natural born nerds.

B. So they could commit white-collar crimes more readily.

C. Because they are genetically-mutated to perform better in those areas.

D. Oh, I thought they just like crunching numbers and making nukes.

Free-Response-Question:

* Use the Fundamental Theorem of "whatchamacallit" to prove that "Asians tend to do well in math and science".

:D

17. pammylove

pammylove Rookie

Sep 13, 2005

eeeeeeeeeee?

How did you know I have that in mind? :)

Actually, I'm sort of interested at the BCLAD stuff, tests 4-6 Chinese.

Let me explore a little bit more.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2005

The BCLAD exam is being replaced - I think by CTEL or something like it; not sure exactly how it will differ.

As to CSET-MS, its Subtest I combines Reading, Language & Literature with History & Social Science, and your TESL background will help a lot; its Subtest II combines Science in a very overall way with Math in a very, VERY overall way, and if you couldn't pass that this minute there is no justice; Subtest III combines Human Development, PE, and Visual & Performing Arts, and you might have to swot up a bit on terminology, but your test questions to Malcolm (snork!) show you're inventive and able to apply information outside the domain to which it would seem to belong... If you ARE remotely serious about this, feel free to ask questions. You'd be tremendous fun to have in a test-prep class, I bet.

19. dougd46

dougd46 Rookie

Sep 13, 2005

retentivness declining, yes I am one of those career changers that innovation Jay was referring to... I am mid 50's and with a good education in math and a degree in earth sciences 30 odd years ago, I knew I had to review for the math I and II CSET subtest I took last Saturday... and I know I missed a few brain cells and didn't retain as much as needed, so now I go back as Jay implied, but no way will I be at this for 7 or 8 attempts, 2 at most. I feel good about 20 MCQs on the Geometry subtest but know they got me on at least 10 of the probability and stats part, and I became brain dead by the time I got to the CRQ (constructed response) questions... but may have done ok on 2 and blew it on the other 2, (could get 1 point for the valient effort)... then after 3 hours of toil I started subtest I and was unprepared (I thought I had it down) for the abstract algebra and set theory questions... what is a ring again and how are functions an ordered set in a field? Then they had many more linear algebra and solutions of 4 equations with 4 unknowns etc,.. questions than I expected... again I thought I was prepared after buying a prep program with sample questions and complete solutions detailed to study... ouch.. off to the old math books again... Jay and Pam I could use your help not your dis-couragement... just because the years have dulled some brain waves doesn't mean they aren't still there waiting to be re-charged.

doug

20. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2005

Doug, you and I are in the same boat, agewise, etc. I know it is not going to take me 7 or 8 trys, maybe 2, just like you. Keep that attitude. You can do it. (Oh, god, that last line makes me sound like a commercial for a local tech school!)

Sorry, you fell for the test prep ripoff. I researched the market and couldn't find anything that folks had much good to say about. Jay's site is the best thing I have found as a prep resource. Lots of useful information and it doesn't cost a thing unless you decide to buy his practice questions. Actually, the CSET subject matter description and California content standards tell the story, too, if you read them carefully. But after that it is hit the books and practice, practice, practice.

21. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Sep 13, 2005

Oh, how I rue the unholy hour when I wrote that infernal line about hapless blokes taking the test 7-8 times...

May I dutifully expunge it from the blasted record, since it appears to engender needless consternation and anxiety?! Needless to say, one hardly need employ those unfortunate buggers as benchmarks...

An implacable pall of gloom descends to torment me for the sundry afflictions I have wrought upon gentle mankind...

Jay.
    innovationguy@yahoo.com

22. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2005

Oh, we believe you Jay, that some take the test 7 or 8 times. We just don't plan to be part of that group.

23. john_seed

john_seed Rookie

Sep 14, 2005

I keep saying it...

I took the National University prep course for the first subtest and it explained rings and fields. It explained a lot about matrices and other stuff.

The class was two nights a week for three weeks. I had to drive two hours each way to and from Fresno. The cost was $195, and you get to retake it for FREE (unlimited) if you fail the test. The class also comes with the Schaum's text book on Algebra.

I passed on the first take, even though I haven't taken an algebra class since high school in 1985/86.

For the second subtest, I didn't take the Fresno class because it wasn't being offered in time. I took a Stats class at the local JC last semester, plus studied for about one week on Schaums Geometry Quick Reference. I passed that too.

Suggestion #1: Take the prep course at National. They offer it at Fresno and San Diego.
    Suggestion #2: Take one test at a time.

Here is the link for Subtest #1: http://www.nu.edu/Academics/Schools...nt/mathsub1.html?CFID=659289&CFTOKEN=88352721

Subtest #2: http://www.nu.edu/Academics/Schools...opment/8069.html?CFID=659289&CFTOKEN=88352721

I hope this helps.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 14, 2005

25. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2005

Glad to hear that the NU prep course is good. I kind of wanted to take it. But there was nothing close enough.

26. Join Utah

Join Utah Rookie

Sep 14, 2005

Sorry, Jay! :(

Eye of the Tiger! Eye of the Tiger! Be more man than the test! CSET ain't got nothin'!

27. dougd46

dougd46 Rookie

Sep 15, 2005

CSET prep classes... the NU one for $195 sounds like a good idea, I would like to see one like that here in the San Jose area. I would take it gladly if I could pass on the next round. I do need more review on Prob/Stats and was going to do a JC class here in the area but thought I could do the prep myself and bought a book. The big problem was I bought some sample qustions with solutions worked out and very well explained and I thought after careful study on those 60 questions I was ready... These were sold for $20 each for test I and II by a math teacher from CSU Stanislaus County, who taught a prep class there... I liked the solutions but the questions were way off from what I saw on the test, only a couple on rings sets and groups etc and only a couple on Prob/Stats. Back to the basics now and hit the books - and if anyone knows of a good prep class here in the bay area let me know. Thanks

Doug

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2005

Jay, aren't you doing a study group or something in Doug's neck of the woods?

29. john_seed

john_seed Rookie

Sep 15, 2005

I drove from San Juan Bautista. Another guy that attended the Fresno prep class drove from San Jose.

30. dougd46

dougd46 Rookie

Sep 15, 2005

I would try for the next class... but I am in Boulder Creek CA, about an hour west of San Juan Bautista. I wish they could do one in major city area like San Jose.. :( (not that Fresno is not a big city... but)

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2005

At one point it was rumored that National U. might offer the class online - it might be worth asking about.

32. dougd46

dougd46 Rookie

Sep 15, 2005

Online would be great, I just finished 26 units (last July) in a masters of Education degree at Univ of Phoenix Online and it was very challenging and covered all the teaching issues from special ed to classroom management etc. they degree is on hold now till I finish the student teaching component with another 8 units of seminar class online concurrent with the teaching. I can do that on an emergency credential as well and get paid for the 10 weeks of teaching... so now need to pass the CSET before start the student teaching... Online classes are good if you do the work and the instructor is available, I should call NU and see. Thanks for the heads-up

doug

33. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Sep 15, 2005

Beastly sorry, but I'm in the Inland Empire ~ Riverside County where I do offer individual tutorial sessions (and group, IF more candidates of comparable ability happen to be interested!). Check out http://innovationguy.easyjournal.com

I'll have to check my Inbox, though, as I remember a couple of chaps wanting to join a Study Group in the Bay Area, and a couple others whom I got together over there...though I don't know if they actually did!

Jay.
    innovationguy@yahoo.com

PS. The feedback I've received from other examinees too is that most of the others' Q Banks - the 'online' ones! - are infernally simple bearing little relationship to the CSET...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  34. CareerChanger

CareerChanger Rookie

Sep 20, 2005

Hi - There is a prep class for Subtest I and II offered by the Alameda County Office of Education. It is two Friday nights and two all day sessions on Saturdays - total 22 hrs - held in Hayward. I cannot say if it is a good class or not, but it is the only one I have located in the Bay Area. Last day for registration and payment ($255) is this Friday, Sept 23. Link below. If anyone has taken this course, I would be interested in some feedback on it.

Thanks!

http://www.alameda-coe.k12.ca.us/forms/seminar.asp?Q=1526

35. dougd46

dougd46 Rookie

Sep 20, 2005

thanks for the info, that's really short notice but I'll call them for more details. $255 is a bit steep but I really need it, so I guess it's worth it. I would really like to know how I did on the tests form 9/10 before I pop for this much money, and won't have those results 'till 10/11... wish this prep class was one month later, and about $100 cheaper.

I'll let you know what I find out

doug

36. CareerChanger

CareerChanger Rookie

Sep 21, 2005

Hi Doug -

I am in the same spot - it seems a bit pricey, and I don't know if I passed the sept subtest I yet (fingers crossed). I have been busy studying geometry and stats on my own for the second subtest - but I would like to sweeten the odds a bit. Still not sure if I am going to sign up for the prep class or not . . .

Lynn

37. john_seed

john_seed Rookie

Sep 21, 2005

Pay the cash and take the classes. It is easier to live with "loss of money" than regret over a missed opportunity. Anyway, you may learn something that makes the cost worth it.

As for the cost, ask yourself this: If after you get your results back, and they are "failed", would you pay $255 to have that changed to "passed"? If you look at it that way, the decision to take the class is easy.

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 21, 2005

I think Contra Costa and Solano County Offices of Ed collaborate on CSET prep, and it seems to me that CSET math is among the offerings - just found out about this (oddly enough, in the course of researching US Constitution exam options...) It would still be a nasty drive for Doug, but someone might find this useful.

39. Calif Student

Calif Student Rookie

Sep 26, 2005

Mutant: Today, I'm going to cover the topic of Euclidean Algorithm. It is usually written in the form of Ax+By=1, solving for (x,y) with given values A & B.

Calif Stud: (a naturally inquisitive being) Could I ask you a question? What is the difference between Ax+By=1 and Ax-By=1 and -Ax+By=1 and -Ax-By=1??

Mutant: Not much. All you have to do is to manipulate your final answer (x,y) with + or - sign.

Calif Stud then worked on some practice Qs and finally got the hang of it.

Mutant: Now, I've got some Qs related to your previous inspiring Q. Tell me, what is the difference between Ax+By=1 and Ax+By=5 and Ax+By=105? And how do you go about solving them?

Calif Stud: .........................

You see. Can't blame me for calling her a "genetically mutated nerd"!! :eek:

Calif Stud: Do you think this "mutated Q" is going to appear on the test?

Mutant: Nay, I doubt it. Just focus on the basic ones.

Calif Stud: THANK GOD!

40. dougd46

dougd46 Rookie

Sep 30, 2005

well I am signed up for the Alameda County Prep class to start next Friday, I made it under the wire on the 23rd. I agree that is better to pay the money now and get the training and help, and then get busy with my new assignment (I am starting on Monday 10/3 teaching high school Algebra 1A and 1B on an emergency credential). I am now scheduled to take subtest I and II on Nov 5th, even though I won't see the scores from the Sept 10th test until Oct 11, the deadline for signing up for the Nov test is next Friday. If I passed subtest II, which is a slim possibility then I can get my money back for that one and just take the subtest I in Nov. But the prep class up in Hayward is going to be very valuable, I did contact them to verify that this is prep on content and not just test taking skills as one of their flyers seemed to indicate. They assured me that 90% of the 22 hours is on content review and prep. I know I came close on the Sept 10 test so this concentrated review should be what I need to go over the 220 points needed

doug

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 30, 2005

Dougd46, thanks for inspiring me to look up NES's policy on refunding fees to those who sign up "just in case". It seems to have changed, by golly - there's a brand-new add/change/withdrawal deadline that's comfortably after the test score release date. In general, though, I think I'd still counsel that people wait to sign up for the next test date till they know they need it, since NES does automatically waive the late fee (and since refunds are delayed something like five weeks).