Math Stations

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by JennH1213, May 28, 2008.

1. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

May 28, 2008

I would also like to start math stations, which I haven't done before. Any thoughts on how to organize this? Other ideas on stations? I have used the Marcy Cook tiles in the past...Thanks again! :)

3. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

May 31, 2008

I was just at a website that had some great math center organization tips/activities... I think it may have been
    http://www.teacherweb.com/sc/bells/madden/ap19.stm

As for the organization of the schedule---In my class, after whole group lesson/review, we do 2 sessions of "math activity" and then one session of "math packets" (I tear pages out of the math workbooks and staple together by chapter). I meet with a group during each session of math activity--sometimes it's kids that are going on to a new packet ahead of the rest (so something I didn't cover in whole group), sometimes it's kids that need to review/correct a page in the packet (I just write them on a post-it as I'm grading), sometimes it's kids I just have a feeling could benefit from another session before the math packet. I also have a pretty regular group that sits with me while they complete the math packet because they need that level of support.
    I list the groups to meet with me during #1 & #2 on the board and they don't sign up for an activity during that time.

hth!

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 1, 2008

I really want to do math stations but I don't want it to be a lot of extra work for me during the year. I like looking at Mrs. Madden's page, because it seems like she has a bin for each topic, and student self select from the designated bin. I like that idea. They have choice, but it's limited. I won't have time for a rotation or anything like literacy centers, so I'd like to use them as something for the kids to go to when they are done. I like how there are many different activities in one bin so even the fast workers can be kept busy the whole time.

5. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Jun 2, 2008

Miss Kirby, What is Mrs. Madden website?

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 2, 2008

The one posted above!

7. MrsCase

MrsCase Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Hello! Math centers/stations/ whatever you call them are a great idea! I taught 3rd grade math this year and I did two types. One was similar to the math baskets at the above web site. I called them math activity tubs and they were full of activities, file folder games, card games, and manipulatives needed to practice whatever concepts we were working on at the time. I usually had about 3 different ones and changed them depending on our focus. The other thing I did simultaneously was to use a piece of foam board to create a little desktop center. I took a piece of foam board (standard size) and turned it horizontally. I took my exacto knife and made a cut (not all the way through) about 5-6 inches in from each end. This made sort of a 3-panel "presentation board" (think about the kind used at science fairs, this is just a smaller version) and then I decorated it with a theme (money, time, graphing, etc.) and created activities that could be done in that center. It was a way to contain the activities without taking up too much room since I didn't have a lot of space to begin with! I glued on envelopes and library pockets to hold index cards, worksheets, whatever... The kids love them and they are easy to store because they fold flat and you can keep them in one of those XXL ziploc storage bags they have now. Hope that helps!