math school supplies

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by teachmemath, Jul 31, 2006.

1. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 31, 2006

I was wondering what all the math teachers were going to put on their supply list for the students?

What about calculators? Does your school have a class set that the students can borrow during class time?

Also I was thinking of having a section in theri notebook where they can figure out their own grade...that way they don't have to ask me every class period. (I do a points based system so that way it is easier to keep track)

Another question...how do you have your students set up their notebooks or spirals?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

Up to grade 10, all I need from them is:

-a notebook of some sort. This year, since I'll have younger kids, I'll tell them I want a 3-5 subject notebook, all for math. The odds are good that it will be full by Christmas.

-a pen/pencil. I don't care which they prefer, as long as it's not red.

-a straightedge for diagrams. Their school ID will do fine.

This year, my 6th and 7th graders will also need a protractor later in the year.

School policy is that they can't use calculators until they start the trig chapter in geometry. Even then, it's the $16 TI scientific one, not a graphing calculator.

I don't mind kids keeping up with their grades, but it's my determination that makes its way onto the reportcard, so I personally don't spend notebook space on that.

I prefer that they just go straight through their notebooks, as opposed to a section for class notes and another for homework-- that way all the problems of a particular type are together. That said, I let the older kids do it the way that works best for them.

4. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

i taught sixth grade last year and notes were a disaster. if i was going to teach sixth again this year i would use a 3 subject notebook all for math and have one section for notes, one for homework, and then one for keeping track of their grades. i would also push them to use from and back and remind them that notes are not to be torn out. sixth grade in my experience is the first time these kids really are pushed to take notes and use them later. i did a ton of mini lessons on notebooks at the beginning of the year but i think my notebook set up was the problem last year.
    and then don't be afraid to ask for another notebook in the middle of the year if they fill up the first one. some might some might not.

5. hhennigan

hhennigan Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I'm with Alice I don't have them calc their grades. I have them work front to back. I filled 5 subject one last year. They have 3-5 minute math problems to do while I take attendance and check homework completeness, then they take notes everyday, and then they do their homework right in their notebook. While they take their unit test I collect their notebooks and correct them for the required stuff and it is a quiz grade. They get one point for each part.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 4, 2006

The math teacher who I team teach with used binders with our students. She has them get 1.5 inch binders and asks for a $2.00 paper fee which she uses to purchase graph, notebook, and computer paper in bulk. She then gives the paper to students as its needed that way the students won't misuse it for notes,paper airplanes etc. She divides her binders in the following way:

Divider 1: Notes
    Divider 2: Homework and Classwork
    Divider 3: Tests and Quizzes
    Divider 4: Warm-ups
    Divider 5: Other (Grade Trackers, Syllabus, Important Papers,etc.)

She also grades them on the day of each unit test for a quiz grade.

7. hhennigan

hhennigan Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

Brendan I like that idea. I might have to "borrow" it. Thanks!