math schedule

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teacherfan, Nov 19, 2011.

1. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Nov 19, 2011

I recently had my class schedule changed (the P tells us when and how much time for each subject) and will now have 2 hours for math (no break)! I am struggling with what to do! I am thinking of a combination of direct instruction, seatwork, and math games that review/reinforce, but it doesn't seem like my students will have enough to do or have the stamina to do it for so long. I am hoping some wonderful teacher can share some activities and/or a breakdown of their math time. Thanks!

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2011

I have mine broken up - they have a number of the day page and some math seatwork most mornings for bellwork, we often do some problem of the day powerpoints at morning meeting, and then a mini lesson and math groups/centers in the afternoon for 45 minutes or so. 2 hours is a lot without a break.

I would probably do:
    10 min warm up - like the number of the day I do every morning, where everyone can be successful and review critical topics
    15 min problem of the day - with mini whiteboards and powerpoint
    Stretch break - stretches and exercises - we skip count during ours, so you can still call it math if someone walks in! ie - jumping jacks while counting by 5's to 100.

10 minute mini lesson

Then 4 - 15to20 minute rotations of small group and centers, coming back to the rug between each one for some extra movement and reflection.

Finish with seatwork for any remaining time

4. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Nov 19, 2011

I agree with the above. Plus, think about using picture books that incorporate math. A little reading break would be nice:). There is a website that has a ton of games that can be played with a deck of cards. Google positive engagement project and you will find what I am talking about. My second graders love the games! Ask parents to donate decks of cards and you will be in business. Dice games are also fun. Dice can be bought at the dollar store. You get 10 for a dollar. cheap and easy!!

Books- The Doorbell Rang, The Missing Mitten, Alexander Who Used to be Rich, .....of course , now I am drawing a blank. Maybe others will jump in and mention their favorite books for math.

Check out the website superteacherworksheets.com for some interesting worksheets. I like the one they have for greater than and less than because it uses alligator mouths.
    Hope this helps!

5. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Nov 19, 2011

Don't forget to have them write in their math journals. They could write down vocab. words, create their own story problems, show how to solve a math problem, etc.
    Also, do you have a computer lab available? Maybe one day a week you could spend some time there using websites with math games?
    When the weather is nice you could go out and find shapes in houses, signs, and buildings. Maybe take a camera and make an album?
    You could also spend time outside measuring things and recording the data.
    In a way, I am almost jealous you have a two hour block of uninterrupted time during the day. I can't imagine having that or two hours to spend on math.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2011

Are you doing or plan to do math centers? That would be a great use of time...You can do calendar (10-15 minutes), review (10-15 minutes), direct mini-instruction (10-15 minutes), and then 3-4 math centers....I don't have that much time for centers, so my centers have only 2 rotations, but 3 centers (so groups only do 2 different centers a day). My centers are: teacher-center, hands-on (with games, manipulatives, etc.), and independent center. You could make two hands-on center: one with math games, another with more problem solving. Just an idea.