Math Remediation

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by rayjc2, Feb 5, 2010.

1. rayjc2

rayjc2 Rookie

Feb 5, 2010

Hello again everyone!

My principal needs our math team to come up with a remediation plan for our students. We have after school tutoring, which only some kids come to (even though we sent home letters to some parents which stated that their child had to come). I have a period every day called "academic skills" in which we brush up on our math skills.

I need something more intense though.
    The way I do it is we just keep going over the material, I present new problems or we do hands on stuff. Some students need more help in some areas than other students.

Many times when the students are tested, they do not read the question. When we go over things after the fact, they say "OH! I didn't know they were asking that!" Well you didn't read the question!!!

3. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Feb 6, 2010

Sounds like they need some strategies to use when reading the questions: identifying what common words mean in math (eaxmple: "less" means to subtract), quickly writing down steps to complete problem, making a quick estimate of the answer, and some intensive vocabulary work.

I have other ideas, but it would be helpful to know what math curriculum you are using.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2010

If reading the question is the issue, have each kid bring a highlighter or two. Have them underline the actual question in one color, and use the other to highlight key words; (Sum, product, consecutive integer, perimeter, whatever.)

My kids who are struggling all seem to share one characteristic: they don't know their times tables. When I taught 7th grade, my daily "do now " problem for an entire trimester was writing times tables. (The following trimester it was perfect squares and perfect cubes.) It really did help; I taught a lot of the same kids as freshmen last year and their algebra skills were good.

5. Mavs3982

Mavs3982 Rookie

Feb 7, 2010

You may want to consider purchasing an intervention program that is research based. The one that my school is using right now is Do the Math by Marilyn Burns. Sopris West also has a few math programs that are worth looking into.

6. rayjc2

rayjc2 Rookie

Feb 8, 2010

I am teaching 7th grade math. Decimals, percents, fractions, geometry, similar figures, properties, probability, statistics, tips, discounts and some basic algebra things.

I am going to start to include vocabulary on my quizzes I think to help with that. I do like the highlighter part. We have "snapshots" which is really bell work, so I'm going to give previous tests questions and we are going to disect them together.

Thanks and more input would be great!