Math, Reading and Writing Programs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, May 19, 2016.

?

Do you use a specific, published program for any of the subjects that you teach?

1. I use a specific program that is selected for me.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I use a specific program that I have selected.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I choose to use aspects of a specific published program.

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. I do my own thing within the standards

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. Other...please explain.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 19, 2016

The use of specific, published programs is unheard of here. The provincial Ministry of Education sets the curriculum expectations for each subject area that we must cover, but we are free to use whatever materials we choose, according to our own professional judgement.

I'm wondering how many of us have the same freedom of choice in what we use in our classroom.

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 19, 2016

I was waffling between the third and fourth options... I would say both are true... though for Reading and Writing, I tend to do my own thing based on the standards... with Math, I do as well, though I also use the textbook that's been provided to us.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 20, 2016

I use the textbook occasionally. The problem (?) with all of the textbooks available to us is that they don't match the provincial expectations. I think that, at best, there is somewhere around 50% correlation between text and expectations.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 23, 2016

Ours are aligned for the most part.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 23, 2016

We have adopted curriculum that we're supposed to use mainly, but are welcome to supplement with other materials, so long as it isn't becoming our main use. Writing is the one area this isn't fully true in, as we're in the adoption stage of a curriculum, not yet having fully integrated it yet.

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

May 24, 2016

I'm of the opinion that a required basal text for the subjects (which has been the case in most of my years of teaching) is more detrimental than beneficial, especially texts that contain a workbook. I'm always fighting to squeeze in needed supplemental material, keep up with the workbook pages, and give adequate time for students to actually learn the material rather than just gloss over it. Teachers are the professionals, not the printed material. Teachers can use their own professional judgment in the classroom, but printed material just sits there--it cannot adjust itself to the specific needs of the classroom. Although many times, printed worksheets/workbooks are important, there needs to be time for student generated work. Students learn much more by synthesizing and analyzing, rather than just analyzing a fill in the blank/multiple choice page.

MrsC likes this.