math pull-out for upper grades

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by smilefor49, Mar 2, 2006.

1. smilefor49

smilefor49 Rookie

Mar 2, 2006

i recently became a math pull-out teacher for 3, 4, and 5th grade, enrichment and remedial groups. can someone give me some direction of what i should be doing? should i reinforce what the children do in math in the classroom or work on something totally different?
    thanks in advance!!! :)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2006

I would speak to their homeroom teachers to see if they can tell you where the needs lie. Some students may require more exposure/experience to help them understand the concepts being discussed in class, while others may require you to take a huge step back to help them understand certain concepts. For your enrichment group, I would present some problem-solving situations or Fermi questions to really engage them.

4. allyd

allyd Rookie

Mar 3, 2006

In our school, the GATE teacher teaches the Enrichment Math. She follows the book and curriculum that she must follow because of state guidelines, but enriches and enhances what she teaches. While we were learning 2 digit division and spent days on it, she only does it for 1-2 days. Her time on lessons is less, but she spends a good deal of time challenging them through problem solving and other activities. We do Rocket Math to learn facts, but the enrichment group is responsible for knowing this already. If they don't then they are responsible for learning it at home. I have noticed that she does art work with the students, related to math. She also assesses through the same test, but in addition provides hands-on or application testing to them. Our students are chosen for this program by several factors: 1. a test on that years curriculum and the following years 2. state standardized testing and 3. classroom teacher evaluations (this includes homework completion, participation, boredom, where you would rank the child in your class) They are assigned points in these three areas and have to hit a certain mark to get in. The classroom teachers have no say or participation in what these students do in our district. Hope that this helps.