math projects

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by jaszmyn, Jan 21, 2011.

1. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jan 21, 2011

Hello, I was looking for some real world math projects for fifth grade that I could give some of my challenge students. Anything that you have tried in the past with much success. I was thinking maybe have them go through a cataloug, build wardrobe and calculate a certain percetange off the product. Giving them so much fake money to spend. Or do like a budget project. I am just not sure. thanks

3. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jan 21, 2011

I like your idea. We've had success having the kids plan and make products to sell at a business fair- handmade cartoon books, duct tape wallets, little crafts, cookies etc. that their classmates buy using play money they've earned through classroom jobs.

build a model house- 2d plans to 3d model with ratios. Calculate total square footage, amount of carpet and paint needed, volume for air conditioning...

stock market competition- each kid gets $100 pretend bucks and invests as he or she chooses, watches the newspaper for gains and losses- great for multiplying by fractions.

Geometry robots- make posterboard 2d robots that have to have various shapes- circles, ovals, parallelograms, rhombus... for body parts. Brass brad hinges on elbows and knees.

Research famous mathematicians and make a baseball card....

4. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Jan 22, 2011

When I need good math stuff I go to the MathMatters4-5 group at groups.yahoo. They are always posting new things there, mostly free.

5. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jan 22, 2011

One of my standards is for students to know how to calculate perimeter and area of gridded squares. I have them to draw off "their dream house" and then calculate the perimeter and area of each room on graph paper. They come up with very unique names for rooms--the chocolate room, the swimming pool room,etc, etc. It is always one of the favorite class projects.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 22, 2011

Thank you for the tip. I just joined...

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 22, 2011

I just had my high performing 3rd graders do a ratio project. They measured the circumference of their heads, necks, wrists, waists, and thighs. Then they wrote ratios for head:neck, wrist:waist, waist:thigh. They then wrote a minireport about what they found and whether others' ratios were similar or different. Why did they think they were different or similar.

HTH!

8. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jan 23, 2011

Nice ideas..very hands on too. Thanks

9. dudeteacher

dudeteacher Rookie

Feb 5, 2011

I have my kids plan a city....drawn to scale. They have to incorporate a number of geometric shapes within their 2D drawing. They get to name the streets and schools....which they love. Lots of fun.