Math Programs

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kim, Jul 16, 2007.

1. kim

kim Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I will be teaching math to middle school ld students. Does any one have suggestions on programs to use or appropriate workbooks?

If you are an ld math teacher, how did you set up your math day?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Hi and welcome!!

I'm not LD, in fact, I'm in a Catholic School with no special ed kids. But I've been teaching math forever; please let me know how I can help.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Do you know what grades levels your students are working at in math?

5. kim

kim Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Their grade level range is from 4th - 7th. Some middle school students are still struggling with subtraction, while others need review with fractions.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

How about looking for something consumer-ed oriented? My 7th graders would have added and subtracted decimals forever, once I showed them how to write out a check and balance a checkbook!

(It wasn't in the syllabus; I threw it in.)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

hings may be different for you there, but with my Special Ed kids I start with "where they're at" and move them along. On their IEPs I indicate what grade level they are working on in each area of math and their report cards indicate this as well. Last year, I had students working up to 3 years below grade level, so those are the expectations I used and reported on.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Kim,

Call Prentice Hall and request an examination copy of "Consumer Mathematics" (ISBN # 0-13-166737-8,) if it's still in print.

Even if it's too late to use this year, you might find it a good resource. It's probably geared to kids a bit older than yours, but take a look at it.

9. SweetGaPeach

SweetGaPeach Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

When I taught middle school math the LD students they all were still on the elementary level believe or not I taught from a 3rd and 4th grade text and yes they had but of course they put a book cover over it. Many systems are not allowed to do that now because they must work on th same standards as the regular students. I also pulled material form different workbooks involving money, time, add/subtract/,multiplication/divide, fractions, measurements. Many of my students did not know all the multiplication facts and did not do long division. You have to start where your students are at and look at the IEP objectives they all may have some similar objectives that they can work on as a group. Have Fun with math and use plenty of manipulatives and relate it to the real world.

10. kim

kim Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm headed in the right direction.

11. lisap

lisap Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I like KEY math programs. There are many different levels available and students can work more at their own level. It is workbook type. The teacher is they guide and with students of different levels, it is difficult to give a "lesson" to a group of students.

I teach LD math at the 9th and 10th grade level. For groups of students with similar needs, I have used the "Connected Math" curriculum here is the website:

http://connectedmath.msu.edu/

There is also a special ed book that goes with it. I found that it takes a lot of direction, because it is designed to be an investigative type of math more than rote and drill. What I have done was add in some supplements of rote and drill along with this curriculum. I'm SURE they will send you samples. At a math convention, I received as many samples as I could carry along with a DVD of all the print outs, overheads, quizzes, lesson plans, etc.

12. caat3

caat3 New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Try a program called Market Math or Touch Math.

13. Kgirl1357

Kgirl1357 Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

I teach students with learning disabilities and have found TouchMath to be very successful for the adding and subtracting. Multiplying with Touchmath is a bit trickier since the kids need to learn the skip counting sequences for the tables. To help them with this, I use touch math multiplication in conjunction with multiplication songs CD's. I use the CD's that teach both the skip counting and the actual time tables for each number. This method takes a while but the kids really do remember their tables after learning this way.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2007

I'm going to have a class of struggling 7th and 8th graders. I'm going to assess them first, then address any multiplication facts lapses and long division problems. I think I'll do Mad minute daily for speed. When they come in they will have boardwork daily - 1 problem in each of these areas: multi-digit multiplication, dividing with decimals, fractions (renaming first), basic measurement, geometry. Then we'll get started on regular curriculum. I'm going to use Glencoe Course 1 which is about a 6th grade level. I have lots of resources for 3rd grade and up.

15. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I am also teaching 7th/8th grade Resource Math this year. The teacher before me used Saxon Math. All of the Saxon Math materials from 3rd-7th are available. My principal says the program is great and would like to see me using it as well. I don't know a lot about it yet. I do know that it keeps building on previously learned material as you progress by thowing in problems from previous chapters. Has anyone used this program and had success with it?

16. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Also-does anyone use a Math writing journal regularly in their classroom? I am considering incorporating writing with Math.

How do you use a Math writing journal-how often, what do they write about?
    How do the kids perceive writing in Mathematics?

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2007

I don't do much journal writing in Math, although this year I'm going to work on doing some group journals. For most of my students, written expression is their weakest area and adding writing to math has caused some anxiety in the past.

18. kim

kim Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I have used a spiral in Math for the older students to take notes on concepts. Sometimes they copy from an overhead. Other times, I give them a sheet to staple in their spirals, where they can highlight
    key terms. If is not exactly journal writing, but a way to take notes to refer to.

19. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I teach high school Special Education Math. I set up my class like this:
    Agenda- students must write down what we are doing that day in class...including homework
    Review- the day before or the skill
    Assignment- usually done in groups and teacher-centered
    Closing- turn in work, agenda review, short game
    I do follow our state curriculum, we just go at a slllloooowwwweeeer speed, if you know what I mean. I use tons of manipulatives and visual aides...mostly real-world situations. Let me know if I can help. I have a ton of resources.