math problems

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by MamaJ, Oct 11, 2006.

1. MamaJ

MamaJ Rookie

Oct 11, 2006

Hi everyone, I need help with my math curriculum. The problem is, I don't have any grade level books that give a scope and sequence of math skills to be learned in the grade I need. What types of math skills do you teach to 4th grade students? We just finished working with fractions and now I don't know what to go to next. Any advice would be great and if you know any good websites for math, I'd appreciate it.

3. lisap

lisap Companion

Oct 11, 2006

I usually do fractions, decimals and percents in that order. A website I like is: http://www.mathfactcafe.com there is a nice pre-made worksheet section that will have appropriate work for 4th grade level.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 11, 2006

As a 5th grade teacher, I appreciate it when students come in with a strong foundation in place value, mastery of all multiplication facts to 12x, the ability to do long division with double digit divisors, familiarity with equivalent fractions and reducing fractions.

5. lisap

lisap Companion

Oct 11, 2006

Upsadaisy, as a high school LD teacher, I find many students can not do those concepts you listed. Each year, I go back to the basics and continue to build as they progress. I too would love to see them come into high school with mastery of all mult facts, long division, fractions, etc!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 11, 2006

What a shame. I work in a private school but we have more than our share of low performing students. We can require that kids get tutoring when basic skills are not mastered. Of course, some kids with various disabilikties don't master them. What I listed above are my standards for 5th grade entry level skills for average students. By the end of 5th we hope they will have mastered fractions with all operations. Those who need another year of those basic skills get it in 6th grade, others will move on to pre-algebra. I work very hard to accommodate the various ability levels and make it possible for the students to reach their potential in math, just like most teachers. I am fortunate to work with very small classes so that is a more realistic goal than in public school.