Math Praxis 6-12

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by milteachwife, Jul 17, 2010.

1. milteachwife

milteachwife Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I'm a wimp or at least I'm very rusty. I want to become certified in HS math but I'm afraid of the Praxis. I was just about to sign-up for the exam when I noticed that graphing calculators were allowed! What's up with that?!? How often will I need to pull out that bad boy during the exam? I mean $80 for the test and another for the Texas Instrument to make sure I don't embarrass myself? I don't even have a job yet! How much have you put down to become a teacher? I'm confident it is worth it, but I'm just curious.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2010

That's not a basic skills test, so let's move this thread to the Single Subject Tests subforum.

But, yes, teacher tests for single subject math do fairly routinely require graphing calculators that are provided by the test taker. You might see if you can borrow one from a friend, fellow student, or former teacher. It's usually the case that the math isn't exactly impossible without the calculator but that it's a whole lot easier with it.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2010

(Basic skills tests include PPST/Praxis I: the math in tests of that ilk runs to calculating percentages and the like.)

5. QBCoach

QBCoach New Member

Jul 19, 2010

HELP MATH PRAXIS

This Sat. my husband takes the Math Praxis for the 3rd time. We NEED HELP! He is 58 yrs. old and pastored for 35 years and just got back into teaching. His BA is PE and he just took all the hours to get Math certified but cannot pass one part of this praxis. He is also coaching Football. Can anyone offer suggestions? It's this SAT and his job may be in jeopardy. Oh, and he IS smart. Please, none of the he should know this stuff. He has an MDIV and remember, he's been out of school a long time. He studies at least 4 hrs. everynight and takes the practice test online, but still can't get it. HELP PLEASE.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2010

My sympathies, QBCoach.

What part of the math is giving him grief? The official score report should give some clues.

You might also try looking at some of the discussions of other states' teacher tests here on the Single Subject Tests subforum. The content really doesn't differ all that much from state to state, and there might be some useful discussion of resources and approaches.