Math Praxis 5161

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by MrCoach615, May 12, 2016.

1. TheMathLemur

TheMathLemur Rookie

Sep 30, 2020

Hey guys. I failed my first attempt. I was honestly overconfident and didn’t do well at all. It is my fault for not preparing. However, I have been studying like crazy since then. One thing I noticed here recently is my approach to the questions. It seems like I get a “math block” when answering them. Did anyone else experience this? If you were able to overcome it, how did you prepare yourself for the test?

To clarify what I mean by a math block, I completely forget the skills I learned because I’m worried about getting the wrong answer. I get frustrated easily when that happens.

2. KSMathMom

KSMathMom New Member

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:33 PM

Hello, all. This morning I took the 5161. I have a degree in high school chemistry and physics, but needed the math endorsement. The tricky thing is that I've been a stay-at-home mom for fifteen years. After a few months of several hours of review a day, I achieved an unofficial scaled score that is passing, but just by a few points. My question is in regard to the constructed (numerical) response questions. When these are scored, will they add to my raw score (if correct), or are they already calculated in by some manner? Perhaps this answer should seem obvious, but right now my brain is exhausted. Thank you for any help.

3. TheMathLemur

TheMathLemur Rookie

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:40 PM

It more than likely will stay the same. Congrats on passing.

4. KSMathMom

KSMathMom New Member

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:51 PM

Thank you! I was a little surprised by the score. I thought I had bombed the test. The computer station I used had the keyboard and mouse wrapped in plastic (Covid precautions) and it took about twice the time to use the calculator as I expected. I never used even two hours when doing practice tests, so I did not expect to be rushed for time at all. I ended up using a best guess on about eight problems in the last ten minutes. I am hoping the score doesn't change. I have read through this thread, though, and see that sometimes the unofficial score scales down. I'm confident that if I do have to take it again that testing from home would help me navigate the graphing calculator more efficiently and I would have more time to finish completely. I would suggest the home testing option for anyone who is able during this time!

5. KSMathMom

KSMathMom New Member

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:07 PM

I, too, was afraid of a "math block". One thing I tried was writing down all formulas I had memorized on the provided scratch paper before I began answering questions. I really only consulted this sheet a few times throughout the test, but I didn't have the stress of recalling the formula while working through problems.