Math Praxis 5161

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by MrCoach615, May 12, 2016.

1. Florenca Kolldani

Florenca Kolldani Rookie

Sep 9, 2016

I took the test in May, got a 35 raw score and scaled score only 155
    You were not allowed to use your own calculator, not even a simple one!!!?

2. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Oct 1, 2016

My 33 scaled to a 158 in 9/2016. Oh well...so down I have to take it yet again. Also, as of 9/1/16 testtakers may not bring their own calculators, but must use the on screen calculator. I imagine the pass rate will go even lower.

3. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Oct 1, 2016

No calculators as of 9/1/2016. You lose a lot of time clicking in and out of the on screen calculator.

4. Mathermind16

Mathermind16 New Member

Oct 14, 2016

I've been following this board for about a month now and have read every single post. I too am in this exact situation as everyone else with this praxis test. Ok here goes my story.. I've taken the praxis 5 times already all to no avail. I've taken 32+ credits in math and the only thing left for me to do is pass the praxis in order to do my student teaching and finally graduate with a B.A in Math and be a certified high school math teacher. The passing score that I need is a 160 (NJ) for the 5161 praxis. Here are all of my scores to date

August 2015: 121 scaled and 17 raw (11/6)
    My first time taking it and I hardly studied and just wanted to see what the test was like and if it was an easy pass. At this point I was not finished with my math classes. Definitely a waste of time and money.

June 2016: 139 scaled and raw 27 (21/6)
    I somewhat studied for the test this time but I definitely wasn't fully prepared.

July 2016: 148 scaled and 29 raw (18/11)
    Between the June and and July praxis I did not study at all. Still not sure how I pulled this one off. I know I was definitely calmer and more relaxed on this testing day.

Sept. 2016: 148 scaled and 29 raw (20/9)
    This one I studied on and off for 2 weeks and thought maybe I could pass this time around but it didn't happen. This 4th time taking it was when this test had officially broken me and started making me think I can't pass it and that I won't be able to achieve my dream of becoming a high school math teacher.

Oct. 2016: 159 scaled and 30 raw (19/11)
    I took the test yesterday and my score on the screen showed a 159 scaled and 30 raw (19/11) I can't believe I was 1 pt. away from passing! Between Sept and Oct. I studied my butt off almost every single day. I felt prepared but once I was taking the test I started losing hope because it was just so hard and nothing I studied seemed to be on it. It seemed to have a lot more calculus than usual. I thought for sure I was doing horrible and that my score was going to be in the 130s or 140s. I was shocked to see I was 1 point away from passing.

I also have several other scores from my friends from school who are in the same boat as me. We all have finished up our math courses and are just waiting on passing the praxis in order to student teach and be done. Here are their scores

157 scaled with raw 36 (24/12)
    I believe this was taken June 2016

143 scaled with 29 raw (20/9)
    Taken in Spring or Summer 2016

145 scaled with 31 raw (18/13)

158 scaled with 34 raw (23/11)
    This was also taken June 2016

Our advisor has also been collecting all of our scores to try and figure out how the scoring works. Here are the raw scores that she has and these scores are prob from 2015 and 2016 maybe? I'm not sure which test dates

Scores that passed: 21/11 , 21/13 , 22/11 , 23/13
    Scores that didn't pass: A different 22/11and different 23/13

What I'm more surprised about with my 159 score is that my raw score only went up by 1 point. The other two times I got a 29 raw which scaled to a 149. Somehow 1 extra raw point boosted my scaled score up by 11 points. Could this be because the average for this test might be lower than usual? Also is it possible that somehow my official score report will go up by 1 point to get to 160? Technically the testing window isn't closed yet and people are still taking it so wouldn't that effect the average? I'm really bummed that I have to take this test all over again just to get 1 more point! Damn you ets and praxis!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 14, 2016

The fact that you pulled a 159 with just one additional raw point tells me that that version of the test was, in the view of Praxis, harder than the previous version you took. This is why scaled scores exist: it's next to impossible to write even two test questions, let alone several tests' worth of them, that are exactly equivalent in difficulty. The intention of scaled scores is that, whatever the difficulty level of the versions, a scaled score of 160 on any version of THIS test represents the same level of accomplishment as a scaled score of 160 on any other version of this test.

If all the questions on this test were selected response, your official score isn't likely to change.

You're feeling beaten down right now, I'm sure, and hugs to you - but I've had teacher tests of all sorts on my mind for two decades, and your 159 is solid progress that bodes well for your ability to pass. For the calculus, see if you can find a used copy of Barry Cipra's book Misteaks: And how to find them before the teacher does. It's essentially number sense for students of calculus, as in being able to look at a question and eliminate one or two answers because they're stupid. You want to know how to do this, and you want to be able to teach your future students - whatever their level of math - how to do it, too.

6. Florenca Kolldani

Florenca Kolldani Rookie

Oct 14, 2016

159!!!!!
    You are so close! Cant't imagen how it makes you feel for that "1" point.

I took the test today, and I got 166 :) Finally!!!
    I got 33 row score(22/11), but this has nothing to do because in June I got 35 row score and only 155 points, so it all depents on the test and on the questions that you are answering right.

I am so happy that I passed this test after all this time. now I can finally focus on my classes that I have left and on my future. It wasn't easy, but I did it.

Wish you all good luck on this test.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  7. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Oct 18, 2016

For some freePraxis 5161 Tips, Pointers and Study Resources, have a look at
    www.PraxisMathGuru.Weebly.com.

Having helped thousands of candidates, heres my not-too-friendly advice (!): dont focus on the fact that youre so close yet so far, that youre only 1 / 2 / 5 points away from passing. Focus on the fact there are clear deficiencies in your preparation. The remedy is to get back to studying in a rigorous fashion, what you might expect / demand from your students as a teacher. At minimum, examine the content domains closely, break down the topics, procure prep material and textbooks, and make sure you have an easy familiarity with most of content areas. The curriculum is vast. Youre expected to have a certain mastery over any / all High School Math skills and concepts -- thats no easy task. So dont waste money on simply retaking the tests with minimal preparation. Invest your time in study.

Not profound, to be sure, but it still merits mention. Remember:
    Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation.
    Dont rely on luck ~ particular versions of the test on success. “Don't wish it were easier. Wish you were better.”

I wish test-takers well!

Jay.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  8. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Oct 28, 2016

Has anyone taken the 5161 solely using the onscreen calculator? Seems to me it would use up a lot of time. Wonder if the pass rate (which is not readily published) will decline.

9. NumberTheorist

NumberTheorist Rookie

Oct 28, 2016

I took it solely with the on-screen calculator and got a 191. It didn't seem to take a lot of time because I could type the functions on the calculator instead of searching for the buttons.

10. Blake49

Blake49 Guest

Nov 12, 2016

Just took my Praxis today, for the third time, and got 157 w raw 33 at the end. Since it's not an official score, can this score change when it's official in two weeks?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2016

Experience suggests that an unofficial scaled score doesn't drop (though it can go up, if the test includes constructed-response elements that haven't been scored yet).

12. S1908

S1908 Rookie

Nov 18, 2016

May I ask what study tips you have used? I've taken the test once without studying and made a 119. I didn't used a calculator as much because I really was drained and knew I wouldn't passed. I'm taking it again mid December and praying that it will be my last time since I will be student teaching next semester. I have only studied the Praxis2math sheets so far.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  13. Mathermind16

Mathermind16 New Member

Dec 3, 2016

Hi guys! Just wanted to pass along the good news! After 5 failed attempts I FINALLY passed the math praxis 5161!!! I took it in November and got a 181 scaled score with a raw score of 42 (28/14). To everyone who is still going through this exam and trying to pass, DON'T give up!! Keep working hard and studying because you will eventually pass!!

S1908 likes this.
  14. S1908

S1908 Rookie

Dec 3, 2016

May I ask what study tips you have used

15. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Dec 6, 2016

Hey everyone!

After several failed attempts, my unofficial score from today's test says that I passed! I will be anxiously awaiting the official score, just to have confirmation! I felt a huge relief as soon as I saw that score! My raw scores were 10 and 23, that scaled to a 160! That's what I needed to pass!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2016

Congratulations, AM14!

17. S1908

S1908 Rookie

Dec 15, 2016

Do you have any resources to use?

18. S1908

S1908 Rookie

Dec 15, 2016

Do you have any recommendations to use?

19. MrDee

MrDee Guest

Feb 12, 2017

As a non-math major, I wanted to share my thoughts and strategy on the Praxis 5161 test, which I took and passed (174) this January.

First, it is a hard test. There is lots of material they can draw from and the questions aren’t easy. Rather than just asking for numerical answers, it seemed many of the questions used variables to see whether you understood or could figure out the concepts. Also, many of the questions were multi-layered. They were testing two or three things at once. Also, there were a fair number of fill-in-an-answer questions, not multiple choice. You have to work fast. For example, I didn’t have time to use the graphing portion of the calculator on anything.

Going into the test, I tried to think and prepare strategically. Here are some strategies I used, and the way I thought about things.

It’s all about picking up points. One correct answer is worth the same as the next. There is no bonus for solving the most difficult problem on the test (in fact, in might not even count towards your score).

So first, I told myself that I cannot afford to give up the points on stuff I actually knew. For the stuff you do know, don’t make a stupid algebra mistakes or misread the question and put in the wrong answer. On those questions that you do know, demand from yourself a super-high degree of accuracy. Reread the question and check your answer if you have time. Don’t give up those easy points.

Second, what to study? So much material. In studying, I put a premium on any questions I could find anywhere that might be similar to what I could expect on the test. While I did use textbooks (to focus on what I didn’t understand from practice questions), I figured I could waste a lot of time studying textbooks and still not pass the test. I told myself I should make sure I knew how to do any practice questions first, then I could add on. I used Mometrix Praxis II, CliffNotes Praxis (5161), Praxis2Math online, and the online tests available from ETS. And after going through the practice questions in the materials above, there are certain questions you can be pretty sure you have a higher probability of being asked.

Third, don’t underestimate the need for speed. You do tend to run out of time, and it is easy to get bogged down. That clock keeps relentlessly ticking down. It’s a number’s game – if you can shoot through certain problems relatively quickly you will have more time on other ones. Once you understand things, practice quickly working through problems when you study at home. For example, get those triangles down and all the weird rules for secants and tangents and how they cut triangles. Be ready to see all the proportional triangles wherever they might be. I think it helped me that certain questions I had seen so often in the study materials I was ready for them and could fly through them. Again, don’t just practice learning stuff and say “I already know that,” but be able to do the problem over and over again quickly. That bought me time on the actual test. All this gives you more time to spend actually figuring out the questions that are more difficult, and boosts your confidence while actually taking the test.

Related to this, if you can ask yourself when you see a question “what are they trying to see that I know here,” and/or “how are they trying to trick me with this”, that can help.

It is my understanding that only fifty of the sixty questions actually count toward your score, so you could be spending a lot of time on question that DOES NOT EVEN COUNT! And even if it does, each question counts the same, so you have to constantly ask yourself, is it worth spending a lot of time on this question at this time or should I come back to it. What a shame if there were easier questions later in the test that I could answer quickly, but I don’t even get to them because I spent so much time on this question?

There were a number of questions that were like that. I thought I know where they are going here, and I could figure them out but it was going to take some time for my little brain, and decided it wasn’t worth it at this time.

Fourth, at least try to be exposed to everything that might be asked. Again, for example, answering questions with the logic symbols are in great part just being familiar with them and knowing what they mean, and, hence, the chance to pick up easy points. Again, lots of stuff I studied wasn’t even on the test! But again, it’s a numbers games; I figured the broader range of stuff I studied, the more likely at least some of that was to be on the test.

Finally, I finished the test, but there were a number of questions I had skipped and I just went back and guessed “A” (the same answer) for all of them, which is supposed to be the soundest strategy.

On a lesser note, they always say be well hydrated during a test. Well, at two and half hours long, don’t be too well hydrated! At least at my testing center, if you have to go to the bathroom, you have to call for an administrator, be led out of the test room and then be security screened again when you return, which can all chew up a lot of valuable time.

Hope this helps. It’s a numbers game – if you can pick up a few points here and there by doing these things, then that might make the difference between passing or not.

CherryOak likes this.
  20. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Mar 25, 2017

Hi Everyone,
    Seventh time's a charm! I passed with a 193, which broke down to a 31/14. Does anyone know if there is an actual score distribution of passing scores for this test? Or even the pass rate? They are not very transparent about this particular test. Does anyone know why they ditched the ROE for the 5161?
    To all those who still struggle: keep working hard! I had quite a few 158s along the way to my 193! Good luck everyone!

21. smugbabygoat

smugbabygoat Guest

Apr 20, 2017

Hi everyone!!

I've recently decided to take advantage of my state's Career Switcher Program to teach secondary math. I wasn't a math major- not even close. But it's the only subject I see myself teaching as it was my favorite growing up. I plan on taking the Praxis in August so I can apply for the Spring 2018 program session. Any tips or advice would be really appreciated! Especially any advice for a person who hasn't taken any math courses since high school (9 years ago!). Thanks!

22. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

Much of the stuff out there is not very useful. It took me a number of times to pass; hadn't taken math courses in over 40 years! Know that most questions ask more than one concept at once. Get familiar with the on screen calculator; it's required now. Cliff notes yellow book is a good refresher, as is Praxis2Math, especially for probability.
    Big news, though, after several 158s, I finally passed with a 193.
    Anyone know if they'll bring back the ROE for math?
    Good luck!

23. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

Well said!!!

24. Nanagyizi

Nanagyizi New Member

Jun 8, 2017

This test deserves lot more practice.It is very important to know concepts graphically, algebraically and analytically. Questions are nested with more than a domain listed on the ETS website. I took it on the 8th of May and passed. Do not ever give up because this test can shake your confidence. Cliffnotes and Khanacademy.org are good resources. Pretty much the coveted 160 is attainable if you are within 10 or 15 points .

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2017

Congratulations, Nanagyizi!

Your observation about questions tapping into more than one domain is key not just for this test but for most teacher tests.

Nanagyizi likes this.
  26. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 13, 2017

Hey, TeacherGroupie

I got a 169 Scaled Score with an asterisk next to it. I read that it's possible that it could go down. Is it possible that it could go down 10 points? Passing for me is a 160 and like most other states. When you were saying constructed responses for the tests.... Are those the fill in the blank problems that are not necessarily graded? Thanks

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2017

While it's certainly possible that an unofficial scaled score could be higher than the official scaled score, that sort of thing doesn't happen often. When an unofficial scaled score is issued at the end of a testing appointment, it's usually for a test or subtest that includes only question types that can be scored by machine: standard multiple-choice questions, of course, but also true-false or matching questions and fill-in questions (especially numerical fill-ins).

A constructed response is a written response that isn't a fill-in; you might call a question that asks for such a response an "essay question" - though I think it makes sense to reserve "essay question" for questions to which the response really is an essay, such as for basic-skills writing.

Questions that don't get scored are questions that are being field-tested for inclusion in future versions of a test. In my experience, these are exclusively selected-response questions (multiple choice and matching) and possibly fill-ins, but not constructed responses.

28. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 14, 2017

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful response. Basically you're saying that my score isn't going to go down at all? Correct?

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2017

I never go that far, Ash G - but I'll go so far as to say that it will surprise me to see it go down.

30. funkymom

funkymom Rookie

Jun 19, 2017

Hey guys! I just returned from taking the 5161 for the umpteenth time ....it flashed up with a 161. I sincerely started to shake. I know it's not official yet but I'm so excited. Is there anyone out there who's taken this test and had the scaled score be lower when they received the official results? I have honestly taken this test 11 times from 2014 until today. I have received scores at times and also NS. None of my scores have ever changed when the real results were available. I am hoping this is my case and the 161 stands. Does anyone have any experience with scores going down?

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 20, 2017

I haven't heard of that happening, except on tests with components that have to be graded separately.

32. kells

kells New Member

Jun 20, 2017

I am taking this test tomorrow for the first time and getting nervous. Can you tell me what it said your raw point were?

funkymom likes this.
  33. kells

kells New Member

Jun 20, 2017

On your 169 what was your raw points?

34. funkymom

funkymom Rookie

Jun 20, 2017

I received only a 31 raw (21 and 10). I have gotten a raw of 35 and 33 previously and not hit 160. I am hoping my 161 stands. Good luck. This was a very difficult test for me. I have taken it many times scoring in the 150's over 5 times. I had an issue with timing, and I hated the online calculator. BUT I really want to teach high school math, so I studied and studied and made sure I understood concepts. I also planned how I would answer questions if I ran into things that I wasn't able to reach an answer on quickly. I really hope this was my last time.

CherryOak and kells like this.
  35. Toya

Toya New Member

Jun 23, 2017

How was the test, to the most recent test takers ?

36. S1908

S1908 Rookie

Jun 24, 2017

Hello all,

On yesterday I took the test and I could not believe the results, I was 7 points away from passing. That's two questions that needed to be correct. I literally had to guess on 15 plus questions and unchecked the marked questions so that they would count with 5 minutes left. After the test, I realized that I made 6 stupid mistakes on 6 questions. These questions were so easy, but I wasn't confident in my answers. I hope the unofficial score could go up 7 points lol but I highly doubt it. Next month, I'm giving it a try for the last time to graduate with my masters degree in December. Well wishes are appreciated!!

37. Toya

Toya New Member

Jun 24, 2017

Hey , hun. What resources have you been using to study ? Any specifics on the actual test as well ?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  38. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 27, 2017

Hey,

The ironic thing is that I didn't actually check my raw score. I was so ecstatic that I passed with seeing the scaled score of 169* that I didn't go any further to read what it said below. The first time I took it I got a 155 scaled from a 32 raw. I'm assuming based off the person that got a 161 scaled and a 31 raw that I got around a 34 or 35 raw. You really want to aim for not getting less than 14 questions wrong that are graded out of the 50. I would say I know my math content pretty well BUT the time was the killer with me. I probably could have gotten at least 3 more questions right if I had more time. Another thing is there are so many versions of the test you can't narrow the test down based off what other people say. I think the best guide out there is to follow the actual Praxis Guide for 5161 and study problems from the Can You? section. I also used the Third Edition of Cliff Notes that I thought was pretty good and the online tests from ETS. I honestly didn't study that much because at the end of the day you need to know the math given a specific problem. I work with a guy who could take the test cold and probably get a 200 and a 50 raw plus all the questions that aren't graded correct as well. Though he is the smartest guy in our math department and did research in quantum mechanics. Lol.

39. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 27, 2017

Not too bad

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  40. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 28, 2017

What did you think of the test? Did you get your scaled and raw score as well? I won't be able to get my official report until July 7th but if you get a scaled score that will most likely be your official score. I have never heard of a case of it going down but only going up. It's possible that your official score can go down 1 to 3 points but is rare.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017