Math Praxis 5161

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by MrCoach615, May 12, 2016.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2016

Congratulations, B22! I'm thrilled for you!

Let me gently disagree with you, though: nobody ever passed a teacher test purely on luck. Please take credit for what your hard work has earned you, okay? And please help your future students do likewise.

2. Florenca Kolldani

Florenca Kolldani Rookie

Jun 24, 2016

My 35 scaled to 155 :(
    I am trying to take the test one more time next month hoping I can get to 160....
    Congratuations to all who passed!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  3. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 24, 2016

Thank you! I was really feeling very discouraged this afternoon, but decided that it wouldn't get me anywhere. I have already gathered all of my study materials and started working again. Any tips that you may have would be greatly appreciated! Congrats on finally passing! I am so ready for that "relieved" feeling!

B22 likes this.
  4. LauraNotLeft

LauraNotLeft Guest

Jun 25, 2016

Congrats to all who passed. I'm technically a new member, but I've been following this thread for a while waiting for my scores from my June 6th test to be posted. I was excited about my 37/50 raw score when I finished the test, but I saw today that that only scaled to 159 (needed 160)!

It seems that this test's scales scores were significantly lower than other tests. I've researched and read everything I can find about scoring, particularly on this test, from ETS publications, to professional articles, to forums like this one. I'm not claiming to have seen it all, but I've never seen a 37 raw score that didn't pass before. It looks like the "magic number" was 38 this time. I know there are different point values for different question types, and the "scale scoring" is supposed to account for variations in the tests' difficulty, but my goodness! I'm not saying 37/50 should be a stellar score, but when 32 questions (or 64% correct) "passes" on a different test... A variation of 6 questions on a 50-question test (counting only those that are scored) seems like a rather large discrepancy in either the tests themselves and/or the scoring. Does that seem a little "off" to anyone else?

I mean, this isn't a person in a classroom making a test by hand. This is a huge, national testing company whose sole purpose is to make fair tests and score them uniformly. They try out at least 10 potential questions within every test, and then they have 30 more minutes' worth of optional questions they are field testing at the end of the real test. And they can't be more consistent than that? There are only 50 scored questions and the range of scores is only 100 points. I got 10 more questions right on this test than I did on my last one on May, and my score went up only 5 points. Really??? But I've seen a 38/50 from this same testing window that scaled to 164. So in effect, that single 38th question was essentially worth as many points as all 10 that I improved over last month? *sigh* (Not a jab at the 38 score, I promise. Congrats to you.) We would be fired, or at least severely reprimanded, if we tried that kind of BS in a classroom.

On the bright side, you guys just saved me the $65 I was planning to spend to have my score reviewed. It seems that everyone's scores were proportionally skewed in this testing window. I think it's the test that needs to be contested more so than my score in particular, and the $65 wouldn't cover that, I'm sure.

B22 likes this.
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2016

Hugs, LauraNotLeft. Missing by one lousy little point isn't fun.

I think you're right that score verification wouldn't get you very far, since you're not contesting the raw score - but you've raised some good points, and a polite inquiry to Praxis might not be out of place.

AM14 and LauraNotLeft like this.
  6. APJ

APJ Rookie

Jun 25, 2016

My 38 scaled to a 162! I'm pretty excited. I keep checking my score to make sure it doesn't run away

B22 likes this.
  7. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 25, 2016

Congrats!! I know that you are so relieved! Hopefully July 9th will be my time! I am so tired of studying and paying to take this test!

B22 and APJ like this.
  8. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 25, 2016

Your post pointed out some great points. I honestly would have thought that a 37 would be passing. What I have read is that 32 is their "score" that lines up with 160. I have seen where a person on this forum had a 31 on April's test (I think) and their score scaled to a 165. I had a 31 on May's test and it was a 151, and then had a 32 on June's test and it was a 149. I had told myself well at least if I didn't pass, that it would be closer. I just do not understand their scoring at all... When are you taking it again?

9. HSMathJen

HSMathJen Rookie

Jun 25, 2016

Congrats!

I seriously loving your positive outlook. I've been teaching for 16 years. Had a 4.0 in college. Have studied like crazy, failed that stupid test 10 times. Now I'm unemployed because my transitional certification is up. My dream just died.

B22 likes this.
  10. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jun 25, 2016

My husband's 37 scaled to a 159! We can't believe he missed it by 1 point! :( Thought for sure it would be passing after reading through this thread.

11. asmith686

asmith686 New Member

Jun 26, 2016

Do you mind sharing what your previous scores have been? I've taken it several times and was heartbroken this time when I got a 155.

12. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Jun 27, 2016

For those that have been unsuccessful through conventional prep and looking for resources, Tips, Strategies and test-prep materials for the Math Praxis (5161) Exam, try

http://praxismathguru.weebly.com/

In general, the Praxis 5161 demands subject matter knowledge and competence at the High School level: excellent Precalculus-level algebraic skills (and slightly beyond), a robust grasp of Geometry, and command of intermediate-level (but not terribly advanced) Statistics, Trigonometry and Calculus, more mile-wide and inch-deep. Unfortunately, that requires candidates -- especially non-Math majors and career switchers -- to simply buckle down, procure resources and study materials, and commit to studying High School math. There are no short-cuts.

Because theoretically -- even if new teachers are customarily lower-level classes like Algebra 1 and Geometry or Integrated Math 1 and 2 -- one is expected to be able to handle sophisticated Qs and offer enrichment in their curriculum: preview advanced material and engage intelligently with students.

There are those mathematically adept and analytically strong who "get it" the 1st time around, there's no problem there. But there are others less so who have to look at a problem and think deeply about it, who need more time, who have only a rudimentary understanding of concepts, who are otherwise very strongly motivated and determined to learn and eager to teach students of similar calibre and would make terrific teachers otherwise. [Hire for attitude, train for skill!] They need more guidance and more practice at the vulnerable moment of test preparation. The site was especially designed with them in mind.

Jay.

13. B22

B22 Rookie

Jun 27, 2016

Yes here is my score list :
    Aug - 21= 132
    Sept. - 25 =139
    Oct - 31= 155
    Nov - 30= 151
    Dec - 26= 141
    Feb- 27=147
    May- 31=151
    June- 39=164
    I hope this helps, I look back on these scores and trying to study for Praxis, take finals and do my student teaching was pretty overwhelming !!! Just keep trying. YOU WII SUCCEED!!!!!!!

14. vmachine

vmachine Rookie

Jul 3, 2016

I agree I think the scaled score is off and the process for scoring is not logical. From my readings, it seems like they're basing scaled scores on how everyone does on that particular test. That doesn't make sense. Of course more people are going to do better on a June test, because they've studies more for it. There needs to be a set passing and failing score. It's really ridiculous. I got a 31 on my May test that scaled to a 155, this test I received a 39 and that scaled to a 164.

15. B22

B22 Rookie

Jul 3, 2016

I totally AGREE as well , about the scoring!!!!!

16. MathMagazine

MathMagazine Guest

Jul 5, 2016

I am taking the 5161 in Alabama this Friday, July 8. Any advice? What would you suggest that I study the most? I have been studying for weeks and I feel like I am just going in circles - Not really studying or focusing on any one particular area.

17. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jul 6, 2016

Thank you so much for sharing this site! I have been reviewing all of the algebra online videos, and I feel like it has helped me a lot. I take the test again July 9th, so I have been trying to review all of the concepts. Hopefully this will be the one I finally pass!

18. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

Good luck on your test! I take mine on the 9th

19. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

Still scored a 151.... :( My raw score was 30 this time. I went up on the algebra part and went down on the other section. I need any and all suggestions to bring my score up. I am so frustrated!

20. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Jul 9, 2016

Examine the Praxis syllabus line-by-line domain by domain. Make a checklist of all the skills needed....and go about acquiring those skills. Use a solid textbook for each of precalculus, geometry, statistics, trigonometry and calculus. The first 3 are a significant component of Praxis. Do not restrict yoirself to the easiest examples while studying. Do assess your understanding via the more intermediate level conceptual Qs.

Jay.
    www.praxismathguru.weebly.com

21. vmachine

vmachine Rookie

Jul 10, 2016

How do you feel while you're taking the test? Are you confident in your answers? I know at times I feel confident but make dumb mistakes like writing the wrong number completely or forgetting the negative sign because I'm rushing. Getting into a peaceful place before you take the test is really a huge factor. Be confident and stress free knowing you will do the best you can do at the time. Answer the questions that you can very easily answer first and completely skip the questions that require more time (heavier reading or a longer process to answer). Answer the ones you can do on a calculator or in your head first. Then, go back and answer the questions that just required you to read and break down more information. Next, answer the questions that may take longer to do. Get on YouTube and familiarize yourself with how to completely answer questions on the calculator. I will look on YouTube for the channel of the man showing how to answer the practice test on the calculator and get back at you. Most of the questions on the test you should be answering via your TI-83/84. Also, consider taking the middle school math praxis to give yourself more options as you plan to retake the 5161. It could also serve as a confidence booster!

AM14 likes this.
  22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2016

It can also be useful to think about how you'd walk someone else through the question: what traps would you point out and what strategies would you suggest?

AM14 likes this.
  23. HSMathJen

HSMathJen Rookie

Jul 16, 2016

Did anyone else get a scaled score in their July test? I took the test on 7/15 and received a scaled score this time. 167! with a raw score of 37. Please tell me that someone else got that same score because I'm now starting to think I misread the score....

B22 likes this.
  24. HSMathJen

HSMathJen Rookie

Jul 16, 2016

I take that back, had 1 more chance. Passed!

B22 likes this.
  25. MathLadyC

MathLadyC Rookie

Jul 16, 2016

I took 5161 July 15 and got my scaled score on the screen immediately after I finished however it had an asterisk next to it because it was unofficial.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2016

Congratulations, HSMathJen!

MathLadyC, expect to see that asterisked number on your official score report.

27. HSMathJen

HSMathJen Rookie

Jul 17, 2016

Thank you!

28. Florenca Kolldani

Florenca Kolldani Rookie

Jul 25, 2016

How many time can one take the Praxis?
    Is there a Max?

I cann't believe it, I am really disappointed of my self!!!
    I took the test in June and I got 155, but I took it again in July and I got a score
    much lower than 155. I thought it was way to hard, but when I see that someone had goten a 167, I realy feel disappointed of my self. I am taking it again, and it will be my 4th time!!!

But I was wondering if there is a max number of times that we can take it?
    Please let me know if anyone knows,
    Than you!

29. HSMathJen

HSMathJen Rookie

Jul 25, 2016

There is not a max. You can take it 1 time per testing window... which is approximately 1x a month. Don't feel bad. I took it 10 times..... it's super hard. hang in there!

Florenca Kolldani likes this.
  30. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Aug 2, 2016

Okay, so I took the test again today. The score at the end said 157. Soooo close! I had several constructed response questions. Has anyone ever had their score increase from the unofficial to official?

31. MathLadyC

MathLadyC Rookie

Aug 2, 2016

AM, I recommend MOMETRIX study guide for 5161. It was super helpful for me

32. B22

B22 Rookie

Aug 6, 2016

Congratulations YOU DID IT !!!!!

33. pensfan1287

pensfan1287 Guest

Aug 7, 2016

I have been following this thread very closely all summer and thought that I would share my story in hopes that it would help someone out there (much like you all unknowingly helped me!)

I graduated college in May with a degree in middle level education mathematics. Before graduation, I was offered a job in Virginia as a high school Algebra teacher. They loved my middle level background but thought I would work well in their high school, so they hired me. I can teach at the high school for one year with my middle level cert, but by October of next year I lose my job if I can't pass the PRAXIS 5161. I made it my goal to just get it done and over with before school starts (as a first year teacher I figured I had to pass it before my year began or I would never have time in the future to study/put effort into it).

I was so intimidated. While I love math (obviously), I never really took the highest math classes in college since I was only middle level and not secondary. I bought the practice test that PRAXIS offers as well as a CliffNotes book for the 5161. I highly recommend this book as it reviews all concepts SO well and still offers three different practice tests. I also relied heavily on YouTube and Khan Academy to review concepts I needed extra help with.

Perhaps what made me (and still makes me) the most frustrated is understanding my results. I'm sure it's already been said, but don't read into your raw scores so much... just wait until you receive your actual scores. I just took the test for the fourth time yesterday morning and believe I finally passed (my score was shown to me with an asterisk so it could change, but for the most part I don't believe they do. Fingers crossed). Below are my scores each time I took the test:

First time: I got a raw score of 29 (a 20 and a 9) and got an actual score of 147. **(This was before I ever really studied. I didn't read much about the test, I just kind of went and took it. Obviously a bad mistake/waste of money. Lesson learned.)

Second time: I got a raw score of 36 (a 25 and 11) and got an actual score of 157.

Third time: I got a raw score 33 (a 23 and 10) and an actual score of 158. This score was shown on the screen. That was the first time a score was shown to me.

Fourth time: I got a raw score of 32 (a 22 and 10) and an actual score of 160. Again, this score was shown on the screen. Since I just took it yesterday, it could change, but I believe I may be set since they showed that score to me.

The main point that I wanted to make in this thread is to not let this test discourage you. For me, it was honestly mostly psychological. You need to study. You need to understand concepts, not just memorize problems. But you also need to stay positive. I actually switched testing centers for my last test. I wanted a different environment than what I had the first three times. If you go into the test saying "I can't do this," or tell yourself you are going to fail it, then chances are you will. As a future teacher, I realized I wanted to encourage kids to love math and see the importance of it, yet here I was crying and hating it because I could not pass the PRAXIS. The last time I took the test I scheduled it a little later in the day, I got up and ate a great breakfast, called my boyfriend for words of encouragement, wore the most comfortable outfit I had, and reviewed a study sheet I made before walking in. I walked in confidentally and positively and I truly think it helped me pass.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I wish you all the best of luck! Perhaps it's time to take a step back and see what you can do differently to help yourself mentally. Don't give up. Don't think negatively. Just keep trying. Everything will work out in the end!

S1908 likes this.
  34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 7, 2016

pensfan, I don't think I've ever heard of an unofficial score on a selected-response test like 5161 going down.

You give very, very solid advice.

pensfan1287 likes this.
  35. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Aug 13, 2016

You most certainly passed, congrats!

36. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Aug 13, 2016

I am so frustrated. Just took the PRaxis 5161for the third time and failed again. My first time was prior to my coursework and I got a 143. Second time was halfway through calculus and I got a 146. I've just finished my coursework and got a 142. So frustrating. Any suggestions on GOOD study materials? I've got a lot of what's out there (ETS, Cliff, 240Tutoring (the worse!), Secrets) and I've watched Patrick on You Tube and Khan. None of them seem to address the way things are presented on the test. Today I had several new format questions which required me to "drag and drop" equations into a table of potential answers. I'm at my wit's end with how to study for this thing. I got As in all my math classes, but I can't pass this! I hope it's not my age (61) creeping up on me!

37. NumberTheorist

NumberTheorist Rookie

Aug 13, 2016

I just got back from my first ever Praxis 5161 test. My raw scores were 31 + 13 = 44, with a scaled score of 191. I'm pretty sure that's a pass.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  38. Florenca Kolldani

Florenca Kolldani Rookie

Aug 23, 2016

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  39. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Sep 6, 2016

I just took the 5161 and my raw score was 33, but my scaled score only 158. Somethings up with ETS. Also, I was told I must use the online ETS calculator. This is new to me. Never heard of a 33 not passing.

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 6, 2016

pensfan1287's post above (#113) reported both 33 and 36 not passing. 5161 has been around long enough to exist in several (and possibly many) distinct versions; in ETS's eyes, the versions differ in difficulty, and the algorithm that converts raw scores to scaled scores takes that into account so that each scaled score of 160 is supposed to represent the same level of achievement.