Math Praxis 5161

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by MrCoach615, May 12, 2016.

1. ReverseSpin

ReverseSpin Rookie

May 28, 2016

I thought the $20 practice test was a fair representation of the actual test.

My experience was 140s, bought and took practice test, 170s. When I took the practice test I thought it was a bit easier than it should have been - and when I took the 2nd actual test I thought it was easier than I expected; so I think my sense of the practice test was because I improved my understanding between the 140s exam and taking the practice test. Looking back I think the practice test was more or less spot on in difficulty.

2. zb29

zb29 New Member

May 31, 2016

Sure did. Official scores came in with that as well.

3. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 1, 2016

Thank you! I had no idea that there was a formula screen.. The last time I took the praxis was the first time I was able to use my own calculator on the test, and I improved my scores a lot. I do have a teaching job, (as of today) but I will be on long term sub pay until I pass the 5161. Hopefully I will pass it Monday with flying colors!

4. MrsPascal

MrsPascal New Member

Jun 3, 2016

Hi, all!

I'm stressing a bit about my score. I have a job offer, given I pass this exam. I've taken it twice before and scored a 153 and 155, raw scores 31 both times (22/9 and 21/10). This time I have a raw score of 41 (28/13). However, I didn't receive my score immediately. Does this mean it's a new version? I was told they wouldn't be released until June 25th for this testing window. Do y'all think this raw score is sufficient to get me a 160? I'm hoping so. Surely it is, right?! :)

5. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 3, 2016

I would think that a raw score of 41 would be passing! I take it again on Monday. I do think that the NS usually means that it is a new version, because my last one gave me a NS also. My last raw score was also 21/10.

MrsPascal likes this.
  6. NumberTheorist

NumberTheorist Rookie

Jun 3, 2016

According to most replies to this thread, it seems that a raw score of 35 has historically resulted in a 160 more often than not. With you having 6 more on top of that, I'd be very surprised if you didn't have a passing score.

EDIT: In fact, I'd be willing to bet money on it.

MrsPascal likes this.
  7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2016

I'm with NumberTheorist. And, yes: this does seem to be one of the new versions for which Praxis is still working on the scoring scale.

MrsPascal, while I wouldn't recommend icing the celebratory beverage just yet, let me shoo you out the door to go buy it.

MrsPascal likes this.
  8. ReverseSpin

ReverseSpin Rookie

Jun 6, 2016

You should be in the 170s. Let us know in 3ish weeks if I'm correct.

MrsPascal likes this.
  9. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 6, 2016

Well I took it again today. I increased my raw score by 1 point. I had a 21 and 11. I didn't use my time wisely on this one and I know that I could have done better. Here's to hoping that it will scale to at least a 160. My 31 was a 151 last time.

10. funkymom

funkymom Rookie

Jun 9, 2016

Well...you went up 1 and I went down 2! It's useless! I am so bummed!! I hope that extra question got you the 160. Please post when they are released. I felt behind the whole test. Ugh!

11. Florenca Kolldani

Florenca Kolldani Rookie

Jun 9, 2016

Hi,
    What did you get with your 36 raw points?
    I took mine this week, and I got 35 raw points (25+10). I hope I got 160!!!

12. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 9, 2016

Hang in there and keep trying! I have taken the test several times! I have a teaching job, but I will not be on full salary until I pass. If I don't pass this time, then I will just have to sign up to take it again. We are too close to give up! This is a very challenging test, and there is a great need for math teachers!

13. B22

B22 Rookie

Jun 9, 2016

Hi I took the Praxis 5161 today and scored 39 (27+12). I am praying and can put this test behind me. I think the scores will be out on Friday June 24 , after 5:00..

14. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jun 11, 2016

This thread is reassuring... My husband just took the exam yesterday for the first time and had a raw score of 37. Fingers crossed that it's a passing score!

15. vmachine

vmachine Rookie

Jun 11, 2016

I just took it today and received the same score. I know that's passing!

16. Florenca Kolldani

Florenca Kolldani Rookie

Jun 11, 2016

Hi,
    Was this on 5161?
    I got 35 raw score and I cant wait to find out my real score!!!

17. vmachine

vmachine Rookie

Jun 11, 2016

Don't feel discouraged! Retake it until you pass which I'm confident you will. I used praxis2math and I searched on YouTube how to solve calc problems on my calculator. I actually plugged the majority of the problems onto my calculator and saved time. I skipped problems I knew I'd have to think too long about and went back to at the end of the test. You ARE a teacher. Claim it and make it happen! Good luck.

18. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Jun 11, 2016

Words cannot express how happy I am that I stumbled across this website. A little bit about myself: I was born and raised in TN. I have a BBA in Accounting and I minored in Spanish & math. I haven't taken a math course since my undergraduate days, so some of the stuff I forgot. I took the 5161 exam early today. I don't think it was super hard, but I definitely believe I could have done much better if I had more time to go through certain concepts. I didn't get a chance to touch on limits and matrices (and what a coincidence, both subjects had tons of questions on my test). There were also a lot of probability, logarithms, exponential decay, and function questions on my test. I'm too ashamed to state my raw score. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the 30's. I honestly feel like the next time I take it, my score will be much higher. Now I'm impatiently waiting on my score so I can see what I need to focus on more. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who've passed !!

19. MathMama

MathMama New Member

Jun 12, 2016

I took the Praxis 5161 last week and got a raw score of 31 (20+11). Luckily here in Alabama the required scaled score is 145. The time limit was my biggest issue. I skipped a lot and went back and had to guess on some. I decided to go to grad school to finish my teaching certification and the Praxis is required for admission so it's the only thing I have standing between me and grad school admission. This wait is killing me!

20. MrsPascal

MrsPascal New Member

Jun 13, 2016

How did you end up doing on your test?

21. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 13, 2016

I'm sure you probably scored at least a 145. My last test had a raw score of 31 and it scaled to 151. In Arkansas a scaled score of 160 is required for passing. My last test I had a raw score of 32. I'm hoping it is passing, but more than likely it will not be.

22. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 13, 2016

I have taken this test several times and had a pretty low raw score on previous tests. I have finally brought it up, but the highest so far is a raw score of 32. One version that I took seemed to have a lot of geometry, so I refreshed myself on those concepts. Then the next one had a lot of trig, which I had not reviewed much of it. My advice is to just take a lot of practice tests and refresh yourself on ways to use your calculator to work problems quicker.

23. APJ

APJ Rookie

Jun 14, 2016

Hi all!

Technically I am new to this forum but I have been following this feed obsessively for days! I've taken 5161 SEVEN times. The first time I took was just to feel it out and got a 134. When I studied next time I used only materials from praxis2mike -- you pay $12 to his PayPal and get 5 tests, 4 with FULL descriptions on answers. I highly recommend him as after this my score went up to a 153 (you need a 160 in NJ). He also gives you his email in case you've read descriptions and used other materials and still have questions. He responded to one of mine within an hour.

I continued with his materials and Kahn Academy as well as materials from some friends at school but couldn't beat a 155. This caused me to have to take a leave of absence from school because all I have left before graduation is student teaching and I need to pass before I'm allowed to do that.

I took the test again on June 9, and got a raw score of 38 (26/12) which I'm feeling really optimistic about but based on experience with this thing I'm so hesitant to feel excited and the waiting is making me crazy! I have to pass by July 15 in order to student teach in the fall. I have friends at my school in the same boat.

i see that some on here got in the 30s on the May test ( I also took that one and got 32) and am wondering how their raw score scaled?? Specifically the gent who got a 36.

Anyone with any information would be great! Or even just to chat - give myself something to do with this awful waiting period!

Thanks!

24. HSMathJen

HSMathJen Rookie

Jun 15, 2016

Did you ever find out if you passed? What was your scaled score? :)

APJ likes this.
  25. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Jun 17, 2016

Damn near every state that accepts the Praxis wants a 160 on the math content knowledge. It sucks because just a few years ago the score requirement wasn't that high. There are about 4-5 states that require less than 160. The only 3 I can remember are Alabama, Nebraska and Kansas. I'm thinking about taking the NES math exam to see how I could do.

26. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Jun 18, 2016

Man.. 7 times is a lot. However, I admire your determination. I have a friend who teaches Spanish, and she took the test 5 times before she finally passed. I told myself that I would give it 3 tries. $120 is a lot to constantly shell out for a test. I'm just glad that my graduate program will allow me to do student teaching without the passed scores. Although I would absolutely love to have 5161 done and over with. Like you, I also use Khan Academy. I also use Math Is Fun, which I love. I only use Khan's website to practice problems though. I can't focus on videos. I've never been good at listening to people talk. lol I'm more of a tactical learner. So that's why I use Math Is Fun. It's hands on and their examples can sometimes be a little harder than Khan, which is what I want. Not only does it have practice problems, but it gives you all you need to know about the concepts.

27. APJ

APJ Rookie

Jun 18, 2016

Yes, seven is A LOT. But it seems to be the theme of my college career that everything takes FOREVER. Teaching is what I want to be doing and I've come such a long way-- quitting is no option! Passing this test is the second to last step for me so it's easier to keep going, I think.

I WISH my school would let me student teach without passing !

Keeping my fingers crossed that this was the last time

28. PrettyQueenBee

PrettyQueenBee Rookie

Jun 18, 2016

Oops, I meant *tactile learner. I was pretty sleepy when I replied. Like you, my college career took forever. It took me 6 years to finish undergrad. Not to mention I was 12 credits shy when I ran out of financial aid. So I had to take on 2 jobs and do makeup on the side to pay for the remainder of my classes. I didn't want to give up ... And I finished ! So I can completely see where you're coming from when you mention quitting is not an option. I sincerely hope and pray that you got it this time !!

APJ likes this.
  29. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 20, 2016

I have taken it 5 times, but the first 3 times I took it, I did not even really study. I was taking 18 hours to cram and finish my degree, so there really wasn't time to study for the praxis. I'm hopeful that my raw score of 32 just might be enough to get a 160, but definitely not betting on it. We all should be able to find out this Friday by 5 pm Eastern time.

APJ likes this.
  30. B22

B22 Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

What was your score for the 32 in May?

31. APJ

APJ Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

I don't think it shows what my scaled score was because it only shows what my highest score was (155), so I assume it was less than that as far as I can tell. When I look on the report for that individual test I still only see the raw score... If you know of a different spot on the report where I should be looking I'd gladly pull it up to take a look and tell you!

32. APJ

APJ Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

But that 155 was from when I took it in November

33. B22

B22 Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

Hello, look on the first page of the score report in the middle it will have you score under the test date and on down the page it has the previous highest scores.. When I print mine it has 3 pages.. Thanks!!

34. APJ

APJ Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

Silly me.. It was right there. That time it scaled to a 153.

35. B22

B22 Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

Ok Good, Thank you we will just keep our fingers crossed until the scores are posted

36. B22

B22 Rookie

Jun 24, 2016

My 39 scaled to a 164 !!!!! I am so happy I passed the praxis 5161 .. Good Luck to all .

Florenca Kolldani likes this.
  37. HSMathJen

HSMathJen Rookie

Jun 24, 2016

My 34 scaled to 153...... which makes me SO mad because my previous scores were 31 --> 155, 32 --> 155, 32 --> 155 . WTF!

38. MathMama

MathMama New Member

Jun 24, 2016

My 31 scaled to a 147, which is passing here in Alabama. A lot of other threads from past testing windows scaled 31 in the mid-150s so I guess it scaled much lower this time.

39. AM14

AM14 Rookie

Jun 24, 2016

Did your 38 get you a passing score? I hope so! My 32 got me a 149 which is lower than my last test that I scored a 31 on and it scaled to a 151. I am really going to buckle down and study harder this time. I will attempt my 6th time taking it in 2 weeks....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  40. B22

B22 Rookie

Jun 24, 2016

To all that are feeling upset tonight over the scores. A little about me I passed tonight however this was the 8th time I had taken the praxis.. This test absolutely destroyed my confedence. I have a 4.0 GPA never failed a test, yet here I was for the last year taking the praxis but not passing it. Studying like crazy but not passing. In May after my 7th try I almost QUIT decided to give up on my dream of becoming a Math teacher, the dream I have had since kindergarten, but I decided to start studying again and for the first time I had studyed the right combination of questions and knew the answers. I will tell You I still feel like it was luck that I passed because the scoring is just all over the scale. I'm saying all this to say this DONT GIVE UP !!! Because IT WILL HAPPEN!! JUST KEEP TRYING!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL :) "Prayers and Faith are very important as well "