Math Portion of GKT - FTCE

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by HarrietBenson20, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Jan 20, 2016

Hello All,
    My names Harriet, I am 20 and I live in Orlando FL.
    I have just started preparing for the Math portion of the GKT FTCE which I have to take over the summer before I transfer to UCF to complete my Social Science Education Degree and just wanted to get advice and tips from those preparing for the test or have taken the test. I know a lot of people struggle with math but I am like REALLY struggling. I have dyscalculia and struggled through basic high school math like algebra and geometry and just don't know what exactly to expect. I tried to look on the website to see like what percentage you have to receive to pass and couldn't really find the answer does anyone know?
    Thanks, I would appreciate any help,
    Harriet Benson.

3. history

history Companion

Jan 21, 2016

Contact Professor Appel from learning liaisons he happens to teach at the school of ed at UCF

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2016

If access to a calculator helps, you might look into FTCE's alternate testing arrangements. Use of a calculator is a pretty plausible accommodation for dyscalculia.

5. Riv

Riv Rookie

Jan 29, 2016

Hello Everyone,
    After months of studying (especially math) I just took the GKT two days ago and FAILED the math section. I am wondering if anyone could advise me where to find a tutor for GKT math and any books that one might have used, besides what is on the market for GKT specifically (I have them already...). This is rather stressful as I must have passed the exam by may to enter into a program...

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2016

Riv, have you tried working through the math videos on Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org)? Though you have to sign up, they're free.

7. Riv

Riv Rookie

Jan 29, 2016

Yes I have, it's helped a lot. Maybe I just need to study more?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2016

Does your score report have diagnostics that show where you're coming up short?

9. Riv

Riv Rookie

Jan 29, 2016

I did not get my scores yet ( too soon) but I can post them when I get them.

10. Caramac48

Caramac48 Rookie

Feb 8, 2016

Riv, I haven't taken my GK yet, but before I started studying for it I took a practice exam to see where I was at. It was no shock when the results showed math was an area of weakness (I last took math when I was in high school which was 16 years ago.) I started doing the math missions on Khan Academy last weekend, starting with early math and am currently working on grade six. It has lots of helpful videos and makes you practice each skill numerous times until you master it. I just took a practice exam again today and my results were already a lot better. I am planning to do all the missions up to algebra 2 and trigonometry. I hope that will enough skills for me to succeed in the exam. I plan to take the exam during spring break. ( I sub for a living so want do do it when school is out.)

11. Riv

Riv Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

HI, caramac48 did you ever retake the GKT Math section? How did you do? Did Khan Academy help? Since I posted here in January, I've actually taken the exam 4 more times and still haven't passed. I feel like my life is on hold! I have a master's but I can't teach because of this test! It's quite upsetting.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2016

Hugs, Riv. How close are you coming to passing? Are you generally pretty comfortable taking multiple choice tests?

13. Riv

Riv Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

Hugs back :) Last time I took it I was at 184 I believe we need 200 to pass. I don't know yet for this time. So I do see improvement considering the first time I took the exam I scored 147. Studying relentlessly has helped but I think what is also a factor is that the kinds of questions on the test I haven't always come across in studying, even with the study guides. The study guides seem too easy and the test is a bit trickier There is also test anxiety, only in math do I start worrying in the middle of a problem that I am taking too much time and fear running out of time and start speeding up completing the problems...
    Not too much experience with multiple choice tests actually, is there a trick to them?

14. Riv

Riv Rookie

Jul 21, 2016

I just found out that I got 194 on the exam. That means I am not passing by 1 question???

15. cindy pallas

cindy pallas New Member

Aug 19, 2016

I took the FTCE a couple months ago and am retaking on Sept 24th for the English and math ugh! I have struggled with math all my life and I know I won't pass again so what does one do :(

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 19, 2016

First, stop telling yourself you won't pass again. That tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Repackage this as "I'm going to get better at math." Repeat that whenever you feel your mind trying to drag you in the old bad direction.

Second, find a good tutor. Here's what I mean by "good":

- Someone who already knows or will research how much math GK really covers
    - Someone who knows more than that much math
    - Someone who is successful working with people who "have struggled with math their whole lives" - this is most important

Then do what the tutor says.

17. cindy pallas

cindy pallas New Member

Aug 19, 2016

I know my husband says that to me all the time, stop saying you won't pass!! Thanks for the advice and I will try to locate someone!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 19, 2016

Ask the secretary at the local community college or university math department, or see if there's a teacher who will work with you.

19. Riv

Riv Rookie

Aug 25, 2016

Just took it again for the 6th time. Last time I failed by one question, this time I have no idea how I did. But I did not pass. I keep studying and yet there were questions on the exam I had no idea how to answer. I didn't know what math concept to apply to it to get an answer...starting to get very discouraged. I've been at it for over a year now. This is the only exam holding me back...I am almost considering going back to school for something else all together.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2016

Hugs, Riv. Try working your way through the math videos on Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org.

21. teach4USA

teach4USA Rookie

Aug 26, 2016

I allowed my certifications to expire because I thought I would not need it. I had to retake everything. Passed everything except Math GK. Got Pre-K, ESE, and K-6 temporary. Passed professional. Typically the Cliff Notes usually works for me but not since they changed this math portion. Cliff Notes give the basics (which I know) but the questions are worded to confuse people even after trying to decipher what skill is being applied.

After careful online research, I now understand everything is based around Common Core wording. So my approach now is download anything in Math from Florida School Districts such as released 12th assessments samples, EOC, etc.

NAEP has 12th grade Math Sample Questions with answer keys. FSA (Florida Standards Assessments) has 8th and Algebra 1 practice test samples online too. I have downloaded all and using it now.The samples are given along the same skill categories as given for FTCE GK Math exam. Also going to research and see if I can order teacher resource books online.

Key: Common core wording for math. This is what I came up with as I researched. Going to study for 30 days and then test using this approach. I will not be defeated. Heck I passed the FL Real Estate Exam. I am not a math major but I do pretty well in school. I was shocked how confusing the questions were stated on that GK Exam...Pearson is a scam.

mejackmac likes this.
  22. Riv

Riv Rookie

Feb 6, 2017

I passed the GKT math on the 8th try!

YOU all can do it, it IS possible. Just keep studying. Khan Academy helped me pass. That's what I used to study plus a the florida high school exit exam study guide.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 6, 2017

Congratulations, Riv!

24. Riv

Riv Rookie

Feb 7, 2017

Thank you :)

25. Nell

Nell Guest

Feb 9, 2017

Congrats Riv! I just signed up for Khan Academy to help me pass the Math portion, I have taken it numerous times and failed, I felt like giving up until I saw your story Riv and it makes me want to work harder as well. Where can you find the Florida H.S. Exit Exam? I'm trying to find everything that will help because I've spent so much money on numerous books and study guides that don't help at all.

26. Riv

Riv Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

I will find you a link. Please feel free to email me if you have questions ill try to help chavatzellet@yahoo.com

27. Riv

Riv Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

Thank you! It took me a year but i finally got it!

28. Riv

Riv Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

Florida end of course assessment algebra 1 helped a lot. You can find it cheap on amazon and khan academy explained everything.

29. seablue4u

seablue4u New Member

Feb 19, 2017

Riv I was wondering if you could send me the EOC assessment you studied from? I need to pass the Math portion to get into UCF's special ed graduate program. And I'd like all the help I can get. Thanks.

30. DAH

DAH Companion

Feb 20, 2017

31. Riv

Riv Rookie

Mar 1, 2017

Hi I am sorry I don't have it any more, but the end of course assessment book is on amazon