math penpals?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Aliceacc, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2007

Last year my 7th graders had math penpals through here and they LOVED it!!!

The new 7th grader has asked me about it... is anyone interested? She'll have about 180 kids to assign, so a number of you could express interest and she'll be able to accomodate you.

3. Charger

Charger Companion

Aug 31, 2007

How does it work? I might be interested.:)

4. abequette

abequette Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

I might be interested as well. Can I get some more info on it?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2007

It would be up to you guys. But what we did last year was this:
    My kids did the first letter-- basically a "getting to know you" type letter. I did make a big deal about internet safety, how I didn't really know Helen and how she could be a "pervert from Pittsburgh" for all I knew, so they weren't allowed to give their e-mail addresses or anything like that at first. (I had her school address from here and was fairly sure she was OK, but I really wanted to make a point with the kids, and to keep the parents happy. I figured it was one of those teachable moments.)

When I had all 180 letters, I mailed them to Helen. She assigned the kids and sent us a packet back. Each time one of us got a packet, we distributed the letters and gave a deadline for the next set.

As to the math, I really didn't utilize it as much as I could have. But I did have my kids do one penpal project: they had to write up a list of 10 common items and their NY prices. They asked their penpal to come up with the UK prices. I gave them a conversion factor for one particular day, and they had to convert all the pounds to dollars, and try to explain any significant price differences.

Since all the schools I'm looking at this year are from the US, it would have to be different... maybe something where each student gives the measurement of his or here bedroom, and the other sets up a scale drawing. (Kind of like those shows on TV where they re-do the room while the people are out.) I'm not really sure.

Anyway, about how many kids do you teach? And can you PM me your e-mail so I can forward it to Jeanne?

Alice

Anyone else interested?

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Sep 1, 2007

I'll do it. A lot of my students are english language learners so their writing will not be top notch as far as grammar is concerned, but this is something they would enjoy. We have to include a lot of writing in all subjects because the state has us evaluate them yearly on their ability to write in each subject. So, this would be ideal. I like the idea of the scale drawing project too, Alice.

There was a website that involved making math problems out of your local landmarks. I will try to find it for more ideas.

I currently have 66 7th graders. That number may change next week but should be more definite after this coming week.

7. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Sep 2, 2007

I would love to do this. I have 37 7th graders so far.

8. o84blondie

o84blondie Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

any 6th grade math teachers interested?

I'm looking at around 55-60 students. Let me know!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2007

blondie (and anyone else interested)

can you PM me with your email address? I'll pass them on to Jeanne and we can see if she can get this going.

10. gotigers2008

gotigers2008 New Member

Mar 23, 2008

I'm interested!!!

Hi! I have that many 6th graders too. I know it's a little late in the year, but I would love for my students this year to have someone to write to. We could also work on it for next year too! Email me at cculbert@evans.k12.ga.us if you are interested!!

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2008

Alice posted this a long time ago.