MATH NITE - ideas for decimal activities

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachling, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Oct 11, 2010

We are having math nite at the end of the month and I am working on ideas for activities. We've been assigned decimals as a team & I guess the rest is up to us. I found an interactive activity that I can use with the smartboard in the teacherled website. I would like some other activities that students can do while they wait for their turn to use the smartboard. I also have the Really Good® Classroom Wheel: http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/product/really+good+classroom+wheel+and+early+childhood+disks+kit/QuickView.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=3 I would also like to use it as a decimal activity.

Any ideas how I can use it as well as any other fun activities about decimals? Thanks in advance for your ideas!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2010

Could you have the students draw a picture using decimals. Color one-tenth red, twenty-five hundredths green, etc.
    With the Really Good Classroom Wheel, maybe have the student write the decimal of what they spin or what their family spins on multiple spins.
    You could play decimal war. Print up some decimals on cards and then play war. Good for comparing decimals.
    Anything with money works for decimals, finding change, adding prices...

4. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Oct 11, 2010

http://www.lauracandler.com/filecabinet/math/decimals.php

Laura Candler's site has great activities. Here is the link to her Decimal page. If you scroll down to the bottom, there is a link to her Decimal War activity, complete with cards to run off. :) Hope this helps! Sounds like a fun night! Are parents involved, too, or is this just for the students? :)

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Oct 13, 2010

Great ideas & love the website! Will definitely use the wheel game. Keep the ideas coming!

6. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 13, 2010

How often do ya'll have math nite? I want to start a reading nite - but have not taken time to think it out yet?

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Oct 14, 2010

It's the first time they are doing this. Generally we have literacy nite & science nite. Looks like this year, we will have all three.