Math Night

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by URMySunshine, Nov 9, 2006.

1. URMySunshine

URMySunshine New Member

Nov 9, 2006

My school is having a family math night next week, and I need an idea. I am new to second grade and new to math nights and don't really have a clue what to do. I will be in the cafeteria with K-2nd graders and they will all be coming to my table. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I've been so busy concentrating on reading in my class, that I am afraid I haven't been very creative in math.

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 10, 2006

you can have a measurements table. Where you have a tape measure, yard sticks, inch worm manipulatives, paper clips etc... Then you have them to do activities with that...

Estimation: you can have prepopped bags of popcorn in ziplocks. the children/families need to guess how many peices are in the bag. then they have to count and see which member in the family was the closest. then they get to eat it. You can have a huge jar of m and m's and let each family who comes to your station, put in a guestimate and at the end of the evening, you can give it away to the family that was closest...

4. IPinPa

IPinPa Rookie

Nov 10, 2006

a gaming strip

you will need... 12 pieces of colored construction paper, markers, lots of different textures, glue, tape, large dice(Fuzzy dice maybe?) and poker chips

using the different colored construction paper have the kids design the pages. One number per page (yellow piece has a big #1, red piece has #2 etc) to # 12 (we used glitter, pom-poms, sand , lots of textures),then tape number pages side by side creating a strip of #'s. When setting up for math night tape the strip to a long table, when the kids come up to play give them each one chip and they are to place it on the number they think will come up when you roll the dice. We gave lollipops as prizes for the winners:)
    It's a lot of fun and really easy to make
    [/SIZE]

Hope it helps:)

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 10, 2006

how about tangrams and an assortment of puzzles to make with them? My kids love them and so do their parents.

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 10, 2006

can you make a game? like a ply wood board with circle cut outs, next to the circles paint a number, give bean bags for them to see who can get the bigger score (child or parent) --adding up the total of three bean bags.

math bingo?

have some estimating jars let the winners keep the jars (jelly beans, M&M's, sugar free jolly ranchers or something of the like) Put a box for guesses and the name of the person and set a time for picking Write the correct number on the inside of the lid but do not let the lid to be opened.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2006

We had2 different areas an upper el & lower el section with games for each level. I think there was quite a few tables. If local college is close maybe some in ed field have some "new" ideas for games!!!

8. URMySunshine

URMySunshine New Member

Nov 10, 2006

This may sound like a dumb question, but what exacty do you do with tangrams? Are they like the hard pattern pieces of shapes that you put together to make a picture? I did those with my Kindergarteners but have never used tangrams. Thanks for the help.

9. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 10, 2006

Do you have a math program that you use to teach math in the classroom? We have had a Math Night in the past and have used a game from the program that our school uses. The kids then go from table to table (grade levels) and play the games.