Math Night Help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MrsMath, Nov 5, 2006.

1. MrsMath

MrsMath Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

Has anyone ever organized a math night at their school? I am looking for ideas to create more parent involvement. I would love your ideas. Thanks :)

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 5, 2006

We have a homework night at our school on Wednesdays. Myself and another teacher stay 2 1/2 hours (until 5:30) and they can stay and get help, work on projects, etc... We play in the gym for the first 1/2 hour, then work for 2 hours and we order pizza for supper. The parents aren't there though. It's great to be able to spend a little more time with the kids who need it--there is just not enough time in the day to give the one on one that some need.

4. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Nov 5, 2006

Never organized one before but every year we have a Math and Science night in the spring. We had different math/science activities set up in different classrooms. We would have each grade switch from classroom to classroom. We would base everything around a theme. Our Title I Math teacher would organize it. She would usually have us look for a couple of activities to go with the theme on our grade level so every one kind of had a job to do. Any other questions just ask and I will try to find out the answers for you if I can not answer them myself.

5. MrsMath

MrsMath Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

What are examples of some themes you have used?

6. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Nov 5, 2006

Let me get back to you on that. My mind is blank tonight. I will have to refresh my memory a bit and get back to you tomorrow.

7. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Nov 5, 2006

One year I do remember doing everything around bubbles.
    But I can't remember what all we did. I do remember them using a hula hoop and forming a bubble around the children. We did something with bubble gum but I can't remember what. I will check with our Math lead and have her refresh my memory.

8. MrsMath

MrsMath Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

Thanks for checking...I will look forward to your reply.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2006

10. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Nov 7, 2006

We've only successfully held 1 Math/Science night...

It has been turned into Game night because most parents/students/teachers created games, Multiplication Bingo, Dominoes, Add'Em War.

Now we have these and other games, such as Boggle, Sparkle, etc. Games the students play in school, but the parents get to join in for the night.

11. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Nov 11, 2006

We have done things around book themes. For example, we did things with bubbles around the story Soupy Dope. We have done things with measurement one year and then fractions another year, etc.

12. cariberry

cariberry Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

math night

I planned and did one when I was student teaching in second grade a couple years ago. I did it near the end of my student teaching, and I really involved the kids for their help. I made up games, or borrowed stuff from the other teachers. These games all involved some aspect of math that I had taught those 6 months I was there.

We had a 15 minute introduction and explain how things would go, then the parents and their children went in a sort of rotation fashion for 15 minutes at each station. It was great because the kids knew how to do the activities, so they could explain to the parents.

At the end, we had treats. I didn't know it but my cooperating teacher also had the parents and kids sign cards for me and get gifts, so they presented me with those at the end. It really was a great time for the students to show off for their parents, and me to socialize with them a bit.

It was 2 hours on a Thursday night. It turned out really well, I think I remember just about all the kids parents showed up, some just one parent. I need to do that again in first grade this year....

Cari

13. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 11, 2006

Sorry, my earlier response seems out of place...I misunderstood the question and I was on another train of thought.

14. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

15. Ms. K

Ms. K Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

I have had a similar experience as cariberry. After the parents and children would work at different stations, we would serve them dinner (a family style meal such as spaghetti), then we would get together to do one big group activity. All groups would work together to try and solve the problem.
    All of our activities were made from items that families should have at home, kind of a make-it, take-it. We would also require parents and children to come (no children without an adult) to emphasize the "family" aspect.

16. MrsMath

MrsMath Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I really appreciate it.