Math Manipulatives

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by HOPE-fulTeacher, Dec 11, 2011.

1. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Dec 11, 2011

Hi there,

I'm a first year teacher, and I recently started up math workshop/centers in my class. Before the year started, I collected a hodge podge of manipulatives that other teachers had extras of, but I still feel that it's a little incomplete. Could anyone give me a list of what they have (or what they consider to be "essential" manipulatives). I don't know that I'll be able to get them all, but at least I have an idea of what to look/ask for!

Thanks!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2011

unifix cubes and pattern blocks are essential IMO.

I also have snap cubes, foam squares, links, and some collections of rocks, colored macaroni noodles, cars, dinosaurs, bears, insects, spiders, rounded toothpicks, keys, beans...

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2011

Add to this a set of shapes (both 2D and 3D).

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2011

and add on to the list given so far: base ten blocks

6. juli233

juli233 Companion

Dec 20, 2011

A teacher I worked with a couple of years ago had spent a ton of time making these great math manipulatives. One looked like a place mat with a plate on it, included was a container of spaghetti(dry macaroni) and meatballs(brown pom poms)
    One was a tree and included were tiny plastic apples. One was a Christmas tree and included were tiny stars for ornaments. One was bacon and eggs, etc. You could make as many as you like. She had complete sets for 20 kids! It's a time consuming job to put it all together but it was a great tool!