Math Manipulatives for Promethean Boards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jack and Annie, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jul 15, 2010

Are there math manipulatives programs for Promethean Boards? I have always used an Elmo with my TV for my lessons. I was told that my Elmo will not hook up to my Promethean Board :( So I am a little nervous about teaching math without being able to show the kids what to do with the manipulatives. We have training later on this month, but I'm a little anxious about the whole thing. Thanks for your help!

3. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

Ummm....I have an elmo and it hooks up to my promethean board. You may want to ask around. However, you can use your promethean board with 'virtual' manipulatives. Just create some shapes, or whatever you need, and manually move them around.

Check out www.PrometheanPlanet.com and look through the math lessons. They're amazing!

4. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

That's what I thought, but our "tech" people told me don't have the wiring for any output hookup. I can clearly see where it could go though. I think they just don't know what they are talking about or don't want to help me. I am bound and determined to figure out how to use it because it is such a great piece of technology How did you hook you Elmo to the Promethean board?

5. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

Yikes, I don't know exactly. There's a cord that connects the two, and then another one that connects the elmo and the computer. You use the computer to sync everything up.

i'm sure that I was just no help to you now! So sorry! See if you can google it.

Good luck!

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 16, 2010

I'm big on going into Radio Shack and explaining what you need...

"I need a cord that connects my Interactive White Board to my Digital Camera... What do I need to get?"

What they may mean is there's no money in the budget for getting that. You can always look into it on your own. I can't imagine it would be TOO expensive.

7. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

I was told that our "projector" isn't a projector. I was told that we don't have to proper wiring. I was also told that it won't hook up to my computer which I don't believe. My elmo is an older model, but I don't think that should matter. How new is your elmo? What kind of cords do you have? I have an input/output black cord that I used to hook my elmo up to the TV before.

8. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

My promethean board came with its own document camera when I got it in the spring. There should be a way to connect your document camera. Maybe the tech person you're speaking with isn't very knowledgeable or maybe they're just too cheap to get the necessary cord. I would try and find another person to help you - maybe your principal. Tell them how important your elmo is to your instruction and that you know prometheans are able to connect to a document camera and see if they can help make it happen. Maybe someone just needs to purchase you the cord. I couldn't live without my document camera now!

As for the manipulatives, your promethean should already have a lot for math under the math profile. For anything else, promethean planet will probably have it.

9. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

Is your Promethean Board free standing or is it bolted to your wall? If you can, look behind the board. There are different areas to add a cord. I know several teachers have hooked DVDs players, microphones, etc. to the Promethean Board. I don't see why an Elmo wouldn't hook up to the board. I am pretty sure you would hook the elmo directly to the board and not the projector.
    The tech department in my district also doesn't like helping when there is an issue with the Promethean Boards. I totally understand your frustration!!

10. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jul 16, 2010

To hook up your Elmo, you need a few things.

1. Is there a cable box on your board? There should be two serial ports (with all of the little holes) that probably says: "Computer 1, Computer 2". One of those is the cord that goes from the board to your computer. The other is "free". This is where the serial cord that would go from your Elmo to the board. The serial cords (at least I think that's what they are called) are the ones where each end has the little plugs with all of the holes and then the two plastic "screws" to tighten it in.

2. I'm not at school, so I can't remember this next part for sure. But I think this is how it goes... there is a USB cable that goes from your Elmo to your computer. Think of it like a daisy chain... Board connects to Elmo connects to Computer.

I really think that your tech department just plain doesn't want to deal with it. I've seen the older boards and old Elmos hooked up just fine.

11. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

It is mounted to the wall and I have seen the box behind it that has all of the cords. I know there is a way. Plus, everything for the Promethean board has to run through the computer (flip charts, etc.). I know there has got to be a way to connect my elmo to the computer. I have thought about contacting Elmo to see what cord I need. Does anyone have their Elmo connected to their computer?

I appreciate everyone's help with this. As you can see, I am beyond frustrated. It has been buggin me all summer.

12. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

This helps a lot! The hookup between the computer and Promethean Board is "wireless". The is something the we hook the computer up to by our desk so it connects to the board. I know little about technology hookup so don't laugh at these questions. Does the cord have USB hookups at both ends? Also, once it is hooked up, what does your computer do? How do you get to the images that are on the elmo to show up on the computer? Does this make sense?

I know it is possible. I just have to figure it out for myself. Thanks again for your help!

13. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

I have a laptop, not a PC. I'm sure it makes a difference.

14. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jul 16, 2010

I'm going from memory here, but I think that the cord has one end with a regular USB jack and the other end has more of a small square jack. The USB part goes into your computer and the square jack goes into the Elmo. You still need that serial cable to go from the Elmo to the the Promethean cable box.

I use the Promethean brand document camera (ActiView), but when I used an Elmo a long time ago, I always had to run it with software that I downloaded from their site if I didn't want to have to toggle back and forth with the Computer 1/Computer 2 buttons on the Promethean board cable box. Find your model on this page and download the instruction sheet and software:
    http://www.elmousa.com/download-archive.php

If you are able, you can send me a picture of your set up and I can analyze it further and give you more detailed instructions. The type of computer that you have doesn't matter (desktop or laptop, Mac or Windows). One of my certifications is in technology, and it really bothers me when people can't get the tech help that they need. You have some awesome tools in your classroom, and I want to make sure that you can use them. :)

15. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

You are awesome!! The next time I go to school, I will take pictures of the set up if I need extra help. You have helped me out so much more than my "tech" people. I really appreciate it!

16. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I have an EV 368 and it doesn't have software to download. Would I still be able to run it through my computer?