Math lesson for formal ova.

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by suzy7677, Nov 22, 2015.

1. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Nov 22, 2015

Any suggestions...? I need to nail this one, my most recent informal Math obs. did not go very well.
    I. Want to use a book for engagement. Something fun and unique?! Thank you

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2015

What's your grade level, current unit in math? What were the issues on your last observation?

4. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Nov 22, 2015

Thanks for the reply. Kindergarten. We are working on numbers in the teens and simple addition. I just found a book called SPLASH. I think I am going to use it with props dry erase boards and a final sheet where they have to write their own number sentences and share. STILL - any suggestions, I am all ears!!!! :)

5. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 22, 2015

Have they already learned to see teens as a ten and then some more ones? If so thier culminating activity could combine the two topics and they could be given a teen number that they need to turn into a number sentence with the frame 10+__= 18. They could practice with 2 colors of Unifix cube to show the part and part to whole relationship before their independant work.

You could represent thisthough a song by changing the 10 in the bed song a little and having students write the number sentence and answer on white boards and then you could revel the answer and have them check their work and correct them selves as needed. It could sound like this "there were 10 in the bed and the little one said "I'm lonely come lay with me", so they all rolled over and 1 got in- oh a ten and one what would that look like? See if you can write it as a number sentence (wait time) ok let's see my number sentence and you can see if we match 10 monkeys + 1 more monkey = is 11.repete after me, 10 + 1 = 11. But what if the number was different. "There were ten in the bed and he title one said, I'm lonely come lay with me, so they all rolled over and 2 got in" and so on.

But I would only do this lesson with kids who have some idea that 17 is a ten group and 7 extra ones. And how number sentences work to at least a small degree and math vocabulary. I always open math time with. Few math symbols that they now drawn on the white board and a volunteer reels me what it mean. Make sure your kids are set up for success for this lesson (always should but especially for an evaluation)

To focus on just addition and If your having a hard time finding books that show all of this well I'd make my own felt story. I use felt a lot. (Btw for subtraction Pete the cat and his 4 groovy buttons is awesome for this). The five little ducks is a really simple to make or you can buy nicer ones online and you could focus on on the number sentence of how any ducks are now missing "first one duck was missing but now another duck is missing. If we had 1 missing duck and we now have 1 more missing duck how many are missing all together. Let show this in numbers with our pictures 1 and (+) 1 make (=) 2" etc. Start with a small number like adding with in 5 (they only need to be fluent within 5 in kinder after all). Felt numbers and simple pictures are easy to make and I cut mine out while watching TV and I have used them a lot. My felt board is just a huge felt square stapled to the wall with some boarder around it. It's set up in my circle area since I use it so much I like to have it up and ready all the time.

6. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Nov 22, 2015

Thank you
    so much for your help! I love pete the cat!!