math journals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HufflePuff, Jul 3, 2012.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

Have any of you tried these? Any tips on how to go about using them in the classroom and how to set them up?

3. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jul 3, 2012

I introduced math journals the same way that I introduce the writing journal and the reading response journal to the students.
    The journal is used to record their lightbulb moments, strategies used for solving problems, wonderings and understandings.

Students usually Respond in their journal after they are finished with their independent work. While their is a list of prompts that the students can use in their journal, independent thinking is also encouraged.

Examples of prompts
    I knew I was right or wrong...

I solved the problem by...

I used math today ....

I used number today...

Last year while teaching narrative procedures, students returned to the math journals for ideas. At the end the writing unit, they students had a library of "How To Series"
    How to tell time to the nearest hour on analog clocks?
    How can we Identify even and odd numbers?

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

Sometimes I have them write about what they learned and other times I have them record questions they have.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 5, 2012

I use math journals as Kinderfriend said, but I will add those responses next year!
    My students write notes during class in their journal as well.Many tell me that they read their journals before the state testing to refresh their memories!

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 5, 2012

For the beginning of the year, you could use these questions:

- What is mathematics?
    - What did you learn in math last year? (give examples)
    - How did you like math last year? Why?
    - How do you use math in your daily life?
    - What helps you learn best?
    - What do you hope to learn in math this year?

I have a class discussion about the question for the day and write people's ideas on a chart. Then the kids write in their own journals.

p.s. using the same questions at the end of the year is pretty illuminating!

7. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jul 5, 2012

Great Ideas

I am looking for ideas to improve my use of math journals. I'm so glad I came upon this thread. These are great ideas. Thank you!

8. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 6, 2012

Thanks! Do you use the journals just for prompts? Is there anything else you do with them?

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 6, 2012

I also use mine as their note taking notebook during class instruction.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2012

I plan on using math journals for the first time this year. I plan on using them at different times-sometimes at the beginning of math, sometimes in the middle, and sometimes at the end, so the questions/prompts will vary.

I think that I will sometimes use them for solving problems. For example, "Show me all the ways you can solve 37+6." Then, students can write about which way was the most efficient, if their neighbor came up with a way that they didn't think of, etc.

I am still playing around with ideas, so this thread is helpful!

11. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 6, 2012

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2012

I also have the kids write down the learning target, then notes, diagrams and examples. Then they will have a few examples. And to save that confusion of loose leaf paper, they also do their work in their journal.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2012

At the beginning of each month, my kiddos glue that month's calendar into their math journal, and they complete it. We refer to it every day during our "Calendar Math" time.

I plan to use it more this year, with prompts as well as illustrations.

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2012

I call mine a math dictionary. Before each unit, we write in the academic language that they will need for the concept. They write the word, definition, give an example and then write any extra information on that word or for that unit that I give them. For instance, for prime numbers, we would write in the terms and then I'd give them a 100s chart that they would cut out and mark the prime numbers, glue it into their dictionary. Over time, their book is a big help to them. On chapter tests, I let them use it to help them. It is ever evolving, and I hope to add more concepts, diagrams and concepts. They are graded on their dictionary at the end of each quarter and the end of the year. I found a rubric for it, but not sure where it is right now. Most of the students are pretty proud of their finished book at the end of the year.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

The Investigations math program has "classroom routines" that I have turned into a booklet for each unit. During our "10 minute math" time of the day, we do the classroom routines for the lesson, and if it requires workspace, they have their journal :)

16. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 18, 2012

Love the interactive notebook...I think I am going to go that route this year. Thanks for the tips everyone!

17. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 18, 2012

I call mine a JAM journal (Just About Math). Because we do not have math textbooks, they record examples and write explanations as to how to solve the problems. They take their journals home with them to show parents the strategies we are learning. I use a lot of the prompts already given, as well as situational prompts, such as: Sally said 3/4 is bigger than 1/2. Bob said 1/2 is bigger than 3/4. Who is correct? How do you know? I might also ask them to prove certain concepts, such as Prove 7/5 = 1 2/5. It gives me a quick assessment as to their knowledge of a skill.

18. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

I want to use math journals too.. I am looking for ideas.

19. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

I really like the idea of including the learning goals. It would make referring back to the journal easier.