Math Journals?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 9, 2011.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2011

Didn't get answered elsewhere, so here goes. If you do math journals, how do you do them? Do you have pre-printed strips that the kids glue into their journals and then answer or are they responsible for writing the entire problem? I find that most of my first graders would spend WAY too much time just writing the question. Also - how long do you allow for the math journaling activity, and is it an every day thing?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

I'm grade 3.. I do questions on strips to be glued and answered.. I also do reflections on class activities ( how did this help you think about ___, why did I have you do this today, what strategy did you use today...). A first grade colleague posts questions like 'what is twelve '. Or 'what is adding all about '. Love sharing the responses in class...everyone's answers are thought provoking....

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2011

I randomly (once per week) grade writing journals (last year, more word work and editing, actually). Would that be a way to handle the math journals? I tell my kids to "do everything as if I am grading it!"

5. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 9, 2011

I teach First Grade and I use preprinted strips. I used to have the kids copy them - but it took some of them so long they never got to the part where they had to write about the problem! :)

I try to do it every day... try...

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

I use math journals in 4th; sometimes I give them something to glue in and sometimes I don't.

Often, they will work with their team on a problem. I never grade for content, but sometimes for just doing the work.

We do a lot of drawing in them during our geometry unit.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2011

I print my journal prompts (math and ELA) onto address labels and they stick them in. Saves paper instead of printing full pages and saves time from the copying.

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

I have to ask because Math Journals to me equals workbooks....LOL:

How do you use "math journals"?

We give the kids a sprial notebooks to work on problems from the curriculum we use, there's a special section in each lesson for students to workout problems that are graded randomly throughout the units. The ones that are graded, I usually just print out slips of 1/2 sheets for them to do....it's easier to grade for me and less time for them to write anything else down.

I LOVE this!!!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

Math journals are not workbooks per se...more emphasis is usually placed on showing and expelling math thinking, reflections, critical thinking kinds of 'prompts'.

10. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

Aaah....so it's just like we use our spirals then. I get it. Thanks.

I think I'll be renaming my math spirals, math journals. (I know, so simple that it hurts the brain cells...).

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 10, 2011

I use math journals. They do sample problems in them during the lesson so they can take the journal home and help them remember the steps during homework (this was 5th grade). Also, at the end of every math lesson, they would journal about what they learned. Some days they finished the sentence: Today I learned..., other days I would have a more specific prompt for them to answer (Explain how to convert an improper fraction to a mixed number.) It was up to them as to how they wanted to answer the prompt (use words to explain, draw a picture, solve a problem, etc.)

12. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

wow, printing the ? on an address label, never thought of that! I love it!!

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

:thumb:

I don't use math journals, I had a friend who, when she taught 1st did.

Love the address label idea, I use them for a lot of different things.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2011

As a computer nerd, and someone with arthritis, I also LOVE the idea of the labels!!

15. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 10, 2011

Last year I used math journaling mostly to reinforce "math vocab", I really stress using the correct math terms in class. This year I plan to use "journals" for the entire class. I'm planning on using composition books and have them not only include their math vocab but also use it to show practice problems and I'll have them explain the process in complete sentences. I also did journal prompts such as "explain what the denominator means", "explain how you solve this problem" or even "tell me why this answer is wrong" etc. Last summer I read "Teaching Mathematics Vocabulary in Context" by Miki Murray, loved it!

16. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 10, 2011

I really love the idea of printing questions on address labels. That would definitely save paper and the time it would take for students to write out the problem in their ISN.

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 10, 2011

I love this idea, IHeartRecess! Missy, too... I do about the same. :)

Besides that, I am working on some math inquiry problems to focus on daily. Those will be glue-in problems, mostly.

Also, I am putting a large stand-up bulletin board in my room for inquiry in math, reading, and science, where students will place Post-Its with their thoughts on it. I have realized Post-Its don't stick well on (any) boards, so that's why each student will have his or her own tack to put up his or her Post-It. It will be kind of like a check, too, to see which students responded to the problem and which did not, because each studennt will have a specific tack.

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2011

You are amazing, Ms. Jasztal! I wish: (A) I were as creative, and (B) my school/district would allow me to be as creative as you are!

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2011

Oddly enough, my ideas come from whatever runs through my head at a certain time. :)

Now... I wonder... where does everyone get their math problems to print out for journals or writing topics?

My math problems come from: A) My mind, B) FCAT practice books, or C) Scholastic math word problems of sorts. I then have this awesome Lakeshore writing prompt box for grades 4-6, though now it's discontinued. :down: Part of it has science, part has math, and part has history prompts to respond to. The box has probably around 100 laminated cards, and I have gone through the box this summer to determine A) Which I like, and B) Which correlate to standards I am teaching.