Math journals

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jlj, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 6, 2011

do you use them? How often? Would you please share what you do?

3. southrngirl

southrngirl New Member

Jul 6, 2011

I haven't but would like to this year. Another teacher on my grade level used them last year. I think she mainly used them as an "exit slip" type thing. The students would reflect on what they had learned, or solve a problem based on what they had learned and write in words to tell their thinking!

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 7, 2011

I do math journals. I'm a firm believer in them. I've been doing them in Kindergarten and First Grade for about 7 years.

For me, it's a quick, easy assessment to see who I need to reteach a lesson to.

If you check out the link in my signature - you can find more information on them! :)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2011

I will do that, MrsMikesell. I've only used them for 5th grade in the past. They reviewed what we did that day in our extensive calendar lesson.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2011

I have used a math journal as well. I have the students keep a glossary of terms working from the back of their journal forward. Then working from the front back, I have them keep their notes, an example problem, and a check for understanding problem that I star.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2011

I should add that my check for understanding problem usually has a writing component to have the students explain something from the lesson in writing.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2011

mopar - do you have pre-printed strips that the kids glue into their journals and then answer or are they responsible for writing the entire problem? I find that most of my first graders would spend WAY too much time just writing the question. Also - how long do you allow for the math journaling activity, and is it an every day thing?

9. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 30, 2011

math journal questions - how often do your

1st graders use their math journal? What types of problems/activities do you do? Does your curriculum give journal activities, do you make up your own, or is there a site that does give suggested activities for each day (or 2-3 days a week)?

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2011

I don't use one. Some of my teammates do... I just find that it isn't necessary in my classroom. They let the kids use it during stations (I found that my kids were doing more writing than math so I never started using them).

I used to have a problem solving journal, but we changed our way of problem solving and I no longer need a journal for that either!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2011

I've always made up my own prompts, have kids problem solve, show their math thinking about our activities.

12. lareed

lareed Companion

Sep 11, 2011

My students do one every day. It takes less than 5 minutes every day too. My math curriculum has an idea for every day so I either use that or make my own. I type up the sentence and fit 25 on one page. Then I have them precut and pass them out. They glue them at the top, someone reads it and we do it together (for now). We talk about it real quick and then we're done. It's great for wrap up! I can send you my samples so far.

13. lareed

lareed Companion

Sep 11, 2011

I have mine preprinted on strips that they glue in. Mine also only take 5 minutes quick and to the point. The strip is only one sentence and most can read it. "I can write a number sentence." "There are more socks than shoes."

14. jlj

jlj Devotee

Sep 12, 2011

lareed - that's what i'm looking for! Do you have your math journal activities for the year? Would you mind sharing?

15. jlj

jlj Devotee

Sep 12, 2011

lareed - I just replied on my other math journal post asking if you would mind sharing. :) Yes, I would like to have them! Thank you! :D

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2011

I merged the two threads.

17. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 13, 2011

I think a math journal is a great idea (my background is English Ed.) !

18. lareed

lareed Companion

Sep 13, 2011

I sent you a private message to two samples. I forgot to upload the rest. I don't have the whole years worth; just the week we are getting ready to work on. It isn't hard to come up with a sentence on your topic (since we aren't probably following the same plan).

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2011

I used to for math warm ups, but since we are using journals for science this year (and I also use one for language arts), I didn't want to ask the kids to bring in 3 journals. So, this is the first year I am not using math journals.