Math Journals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by buck8teacher, Jul 14, 2010.

1. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 14, 2010

The other night while not being able to sleep, I stumbled across this,
    http://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/free-resources/math/math-journals.
    I was very intrigued. I had my students do something similar with reader's response journals this past year, and loved it. I bought my students composition notebooks at walmart today for this. I plan on ending math this year with a reflection over the days lesson and sharing. I feel it will be a great way for formative assessment, as well as a nonthreatening way to have my kids start writing their thought processes about math early in the year to prepare for our end of the year tests.

The link has a lot of great advice, and resources. Just wondering if anyone else did this?

I know it will require a lot of modeling at the beginning, but so did my response journals, and they really helped my students make deeper connections to their reading, and really strengthened their ability to respond to a text.

So I think I'll make this my big summer project. I'm excited to have found the composition books so cheap! I like know they'll have a place to record their thoughts about math separate from their reading journal.

Has anyone done math journals? Any tips, struggles, suggestions? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

Thanks for the info!!! I've been wanting to do math journals for the past 2 years and just didn't know where to start!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 14, 2010

Buck, the Write Tools has an INCREDIBLE book about journaling in math. I will see if I can find a link for it.