math journaling?

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by tb71, Jul 21, 2010.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

Is anyone doing math journaling? I'm curious as to when to do it beginning or end of class, how often and are you taking it up for a grade? I would like the students to use math vocab as much as possible, so I would like to hold them accountable for quality work.

Thanks!

3. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I'll be using math journals this year, basically as a note taking tool. The journals will be used everyday during our lessons. They will write and do the anticipatory set problems in the journal, write down new vocabulary words and definitions from the lesson, write down the "rules", do guided problems in their journal, do a few independent problems, and write up a closure for the lesson each day. I've been doing this for the past 3 years and it has worked well. This year I am going to be more strict with having them use the same journal everyday and keeping their notes all together. I'll try to convince them that this is a good idea by allowing them to use their notes on certain quizzes or tests...

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 13, 2010

Thanks...I appreciate your response. I was going to use it for mainly vocab but I'm liking your ideas better.. thanks again :)

5. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

Last year in my student teaching, the kids used math notebooks (which were spiral notebooks) for everything from problem of the day to taking notes. Basically anything that would be useful to look back at went in the notebooks. They were useful but the biggest problem was getting the students to use the notebooks efficiently (not skipping pages, using the pages in order, etc.) I think it's a good idea though. I would like to do something similar this year but also use them for more reflection on each student's learning.

I did not grade the notebooks exactly, but sometimes checked for students' understanding or completion on individual entries.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 23, 2010

My math journals served a very, very different purpose.

I required my students to write two entries a week in their journals, connecting the topics we were learning in class to their real lives. I did this for two reasons.

First, we had a "writing across the curriculum" requirement. This helped me fill that requirement quiet nicely. Second, by connecting the curriculum to their actual, day to day lives, I found my students bought into the whole math thing with much more enthusiasm, than even I thought was possible. When my students were interested in learning the math, they were better behaved and more focused, and as a result, performed better.

Oh, and I taught in a VERY rough school, 100% free/reduced lunch, in one of the poorest, roughest neighborhoods in a large city. I pretty much did anything I could to get them interested :D.