Math Investigations

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by LaurenNJ, Sep 15, 2009.

1. LaurenNJ

LaurenNJ Rookie

Sep 15, 2009

I'm a 1st year 5th grade teacher (I did one long term leave last year in 5th grade for 3 months). We are required to use Investigations in Number, Data and Space (1st edition) as our math curriculum. We also have Scott Foresman Addison Wessley that we can use to supplement. I am very unfamiliar with investigations and am finding it very hard to teach. Does anyone use this? Any tips or resources I can use? We are starting with Mathematical Thinking at Grade 5.

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 16, 2009

We used to use Investigations before we moved to EnVision last year... which most of us hated, so now we use both. What is it that's making Investigations difficult for you? Not all of the Investigations need to be taught, but some are definitely key for concept-building. I like the first 3 books... once you get into Data, Cats and Kids and Picturing Polygons is when I stopped using them.

4. ReadytoTeach

ReadytoTeach Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

My school got Investigations this year. Everyone was very hesitant when we got it, and we had a lot of arguments against it. The third grade teachers decided to try it out fully and really like it now. I know the first and second grade teachers like it as well. For fourth and fifth, we are not so sure...but we also haven't jumped fully into it like the other grades have.
    I agree with you that it is a really hard format to teach. You have to study each lesson before you teach it. However, I think it can be good for the students if supplemented with traditional practice problems. Investigations really gets into the how and why of math concepts. Its big fault (in my opinion) is that it does not follow up with traditional problems as students need to see them as well.
    Let me know how it goes. This is still a matter of contention between my teaching team. =(