math interview questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by krissy83, Apr 21, 2008.

1. krissy83

krissy83 Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Hi everyone,

teaching math is not my strong point and I get stumped even just trying to formulate a possible answer to math interview questions. Can anyone tell me specific elementary math-related interview questions they've had so I have more of a focus?

Also, if you were asked the general question of what math looks like in your classroom, what would you say? What do you think is important to include in your answer?

Thanks to anyone who replies!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2008

What grade is this for? I don't remember specifically any questions geared for math. As far as what math would look like in the classroom, I would mention cooperative learning through the use of manipulatives, or something like this.

4. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Apr 21, 2008

I remember a question along the lines of "How would you plan a math lesson?" Very general. It was for elementary.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 21, 2008

Math is everywhere in your classroom. You could talk about math word wall that has the current math terms that go along with the unit you are doing. You should have math centers, math tubs and math games. Math should be incorporated in calendar if you are doing the low grades. In your lessons, you start with concrete manipulatives before moving to just pencil and paper. You make sure that kids know why they are learning something ie. you need to make sure you don't get the right change when you buy something or whatever. This might also be a time to mention how you use scaffolding and what you might do with your higher kids.

I hope this helps.

Lemon

6. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

Talking about making math hands on has been working well for me. An example was having my students create 3D shapes when calculating area so they could actual see the shape.

7. Grace

Grace Companion

Apr 23, 2008

I would also mention the importance of taking each math concept and teaching it in a way that is applicable to real world situations that the students are familiar with. That way the content would connect with their previous understanding. I'd also mention making my math lessons very active by having students solve problems using their critical thinking skills and by providing a lot of opportunity for them to use manipulatives for hands-on learning.