Math intervention groups

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by applecore, Mar 18, 2014.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 18, 2014

Do you level students and switch classes for math intervention?

We have to do both reading AND math intervention classes next year, and we have NO.IDEA where to start.

We're waiting for the final say from the P to explain the expectations...which may not be until after spring break when our final schedule is supposed to be ready for next school year.

So, we're left to our own devices right now to network ideas on what math intervention looks like.

Would you be willing to share what you use/do?

Thank you!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

We have a thirty minute "Remediation/Intervention" block per day, with one day being reading, one being language arts. What I do tends to vary wildly depending on current needs, but I often try to set up a couple math stations and pull guided math-type groups. I also have math and language arts menus set up.

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 18, 2014

Thanks for the ideas!

The menus sound like a great idea. Generally we have title I aides to help during intervention times, so I'm fairly certain I'll have to work stations and small groups.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

The biggest thing I'll suggest is that you keep that time extremely flexible. Some days you'll want to talk to each kid for one minute... other days you'll want six of them with you for the whole half hour. The kids need to know early and often that you meeting with them is completely normal, and that there's nothing wrong with you calling them.

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 18, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion!

We've been told from now on, we, the main teachers, will be working with the most needy (lack of a better term right now) in the level of group we have---it's something we had to change this year with our reading groups since we went school wide for Title I. So, I guess I feel pretty good with knowing I've got that down pretty good. :)

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 19, 2014

Have you read any books about Math Recovery? That is what I use for my math intervention. I went to 6 days of training this year and am slowly building an intervention program in my classroom.

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 21, 2014

I have not. Thank you for the suggestion.

I looked at the website this morning. It looks like a really nice program for intervention. I'd love to have something like this for our school, and wish they would have events closer to the west coast instead of the south and east.

I hope it does great things for your students!

9. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 21, 2014

10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 21, 2014

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I've seen math leveling work well in an intermediate elementary school.

For third grade, the kids are all leveled for an enrichment time. All of the teachers teach the same lesson to their core class - so, for example, all teachers are teaching Lesson 18, Day 2 from the math curriculum. Then, that same day, the low kids review the basics of the lesson, the mid-level kids do some kind of extra practice, and the high level kids do a lesson that expands upon the topic. Everyone is getting a double dose of the daily lesson, only at their own level.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2014

I do interventions with my kids based on their needs. I have a couple of students with weak number sense, so I try to work with them a couple of times w eek (in a small group). I also look at current math concepts and who is struggling and pull them for some intervention. The groups are flexible and always changing. It just depends on where the students are and who needs more time or reinforcement on a concept.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2014

I was a math resource teacher for two years. We did it by grade as it was the easiest to pull out the group (I requested that my groups be no larger than 6). I had two groups for each grade. We worked as best as we could to group them based on needs. I worked with each group for 20 minutes. It was pretty fast paced. I started off with some sort of drill "quiz" to get their brains warmed up (addition for second, multiplication for 4 and 5, for example). Then a few quick review problems and a word problem. Then onto our lesson of the day. 90% of the time I incorporated a hands-on manipulative activity. We would play around with that for a while. Anyways, I loved it. When I was hired, they had no program in place. I loved that I could teach at my own pace and no script!!! I was very sad when I had to quit (hubby landed a new job).

13. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 22, 2014

THANK YOU!

I love, LOVE, websites for games. It's one station that I have for my guided math groups. We use a lot of games like Brain Pop, ABCYA, and Ten Marks--Ten Marks is for my high math group the I have work on for bonus prizes because the work is very challenging to earn a certificate..but not impossible! :)

14. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 22, 2014

Do you teach math facts or practice math facts with your main lesson time or during the groups?

I really like how you do your "double dose" of the math lessons...that sounds amazing and something we could possibly do.

We have to put in math fact practice either with our main 60 minute lesson or with the success groups. Getting everything in may seem possible yet!

15. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 22, 2014

Thank you for sharing how you help your students with high need. We have to use our RTI scores to level the the whole 3rd grade into their developing level.

Can you recommend an assessment that you use for number sense that helps you by chance?

Thank you!

16. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 22, 2014

Don't you just love it when things go so well!

Thanks for the reminders to use manipulatives and the skill drills/quizes.

Thanks for sharing.