Math in the Morning or Afternoon?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MMRbella, Jul 26, 2011.

1. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jul 26, 2011

Hello everyone. :)

I usually schedule my mathematics block for the afternoon... but I've been considering switching it to the morning. What are your opinions? Have any of you tried it both ways? Which works better?

Thanks!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

I know this was a hot topic at my last school. I was the math clinician, so I paid attention to what was being said. One school in our last district did math first thing in the morning while the rest of the schools had them in the afternoon or right before lunch. They compared the test scores and didn't find a difference. They were all pretty equal. Now this is just a one year sampling. I think more research needs to be done. But, my thinking is, as long as you make math hands on, more concrete, then it is fine to do it in the afternoon. As we know, kids tend to get a bit tired, out of it, after lunch time. So, I think doing math in the afternoon is fine, as long as you really keep them engaged and active. Make it hands on, real life problems, etc.

I've done math in the morning and afternoon and I really don't have a preference. I tend to do more of the "abstract" stuff in the morning (LA, reading, phonemic awareness, social studies) and the more "concrete" stuff in the afternoon (math, science).

4. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

Math in Morning

I teach 5th grade. Two years ago we had math in the morning, last year we did math in the afternoon. I really wish we had had math in the morning. It just seemed we lost their attention in the afternoon. Of course, it may have had to do with the fact that we did math right after recess. I just felt I accomplished so much more in math when we did it in the morning. Unfortunately, we really need to do language arts in the morning also. It is so hard to schedule everything!!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

I typically teach math in the afternoon (no real reason why) but I always wondered if there was a better time. The other 1st grade teacher teaches it in the morning, which likes because she says the kids are more awake. Since I do math centers, the kids are really active and participate during math time, so I have never had a problem with the time of day.

6. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

I teach it both. We block schedule so I teach one block first thing in the morning and the other block in the afternoon. There wasn't a big difference in our test scores between the two blocks.

7. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

I have done it both ways but my preference is the morning. I like to have language arts in the afternoon because I think reading and writing helps calm the kids down after lunch and recess.

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

I have always taught math right after lunch. both in Kinder and in second. that worked for me :)

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

math is very hands on and fun in early grades so I leave it for the afternoon. It peps the little ones up when they start getting tired.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

We used to always do it in the afternoon, but their attention spans were minimal. We switched to morning 5 years ago and I would never go back. I feel the afternoon lends itself to literacy quite well too.

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

See and I think the exact opposite. Isn't it funny how so many things related to teaching are so interconnected with our own personalities!!!

I've had teachers say we should always have writer's workshop in the mornings and I love it in the afternoon right after lunch...... I think the point is we are all different .......and every class is different too!

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

During student teaching, I was required to teach math the last hour of the day. To first graders. Who didn't get recess. It was awful!

So, for the last two years I have stubbornly put it in the mornings.

BUT, I'm going to try after lunch this year - because by the time I run through an hour or so of reading groups, we need a break from group rotations. Trying to do 2-4 reading groups followed by 2-4 math groups was exhausting for me and for the kids.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 27, 2011

I would start with one way (maybe morning) and if it doesn't work out for your students then switch it to the afternoon and see if that works.

The way my schedule is set up for a 6 day cycle, sometimes I'll teach science to a class in the morning and on other cycle days in the afternoon.

First and second periods the kids still seem to be asleep and the period right after lunch, they still have a lot of energy and little attention and last period they just want to go home. Nothing I can do about that but try my best to keep their attention and make sure they're learning :)

14. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

Our entire building always preferred to have our reading block in the morning, but due to scheduling conflicts, my team had to move it to first thing in the morning. We dreaded the idea, but actually ended up liking it so much that we kept it that way! No matter what, you're going to lose attention spans in the afternoon. So we did Math first, then literacy, and did Science/Social Studies last thing. That tends to be hands on most of the time, so it ended up working great. I agree with a previous poster, though. As long as you make Math fun and entertaining whenever possible, it should be okay. :)

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

I have done both. Since I don't always have a choice, I am going to make whatever I can do, work!

16. Toast

Toast Companion

Jul 27, 2011

I have found the kids seem more attentive in the morning. This is 3rd grade by the way.

17. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 27, 2011

I have always taught Math in the afternoon (second grade), but I would love to teach it in the morning! I love Math and I wish I could teach it when the kids first arrive and are eager to start their day instead of when they are tired from recess, full from lunch, and ready for a nap. =(

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2011

When I taught grade 5 and 6, I always started the day with math, and loved it!

19. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2011

Math after lunch!

I have language, reading and language centers in the morning, plus ELD time and recess. Our mornings before lunch are only 2.5 hours. I had to squeeze math in there one year when a half day student's parent requested it. It was hard. Too much required content in a short period. I was happy to return to math and math centers and science/social studies and art in the afternoons. :)

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 28, 2011

When I taught 2nd grade, I always taught math in the afternoon. Never thought about teaching it in the morning.

21. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2011

I could definitely see teaching higher grade math in the morning as it gets tedious. But in the early grades it's so hands-on and kids tend to really like it - I like math in the afternoons.