Math idea bouncing around in my head...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Danny'sNanny, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2010

This will be my 2nd year in 2nd grade.

For the first half of the year, I stapled together all the pages for each chapter to make a packet. The kids worked through the chapters independently at their own pace.

I would teach the math lesson whole group. Then we would do 3 groups - math game for the week, work on your packet at your seat, and check in with me.

My high kids loved it, it was fine for my average kids, and I did have to modify for my low kids (but really, I was taking out the story problems for the kids who couldn't read them independently - they were spending too much math time trying to sort through the reading, and I couldn't be right there with them every minute...)

The second half of the year, I stopped doing this for 2 reasons. A - I really felt that once we got into double digit +/- with regrouping, the workbook pages were not the best quality activity for my time. There was not enough practice on each page, and the problems were horizontal without enough room to re-write vertically.

So - I switched to a math block of: mini lesson, meet with me, independent practice of the last topic, math game.

The kids really missed having their independent "chapters" in their desks, and I felt that I was not always pushing the higher kids as much as I could. When the kids did have their chapters, it was amazing how many kids chose to work on them during choice times - when they had finished their other work - throughout the day

So, now I am trying to develop a plan that supports all my students, from the ones who struggle to the ones who need to go "deeper", without killing myself on grading (that was my least favorite part, trying to manage grading and having the kids correct missed problems on so many different chapters...)

I am thinking of using a 3 prong folder. In the front pocket they will keep their daily warm up page, in the back will be the required weekly quizzes (new this year, that would be a whole other thread to explain). In the prongs, I can add challenge/practice/remediation pages as necessary. That way, everyone always has independent math to work on.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any tips/ideas/things I need to think about? How would you keep up with the grading on these?

(sorry this is so long, I just started typing and didn't realize how much I was saying!)

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2010

So, I guess I'm saying -

I will keep the idea of making a work at your own pace packet, but use a folder so that I have the freedom to pull from a variety of sources, instead of tying myself to the workbook...

But I'm really trying to figure out the management of adding to and grading these folders.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2010

I never did this, but I do like your idea. I may use it for my math resource groups! :)

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2010

Yup, I got it. And I like that idea of pulling from different resources to differentiate for the hi, med, low kids.

6. ecl

ecl Rookie

Jun 23, 2010

It sounds as though from your description, that you use Everyday Math, or a similar program that does not provide enough practice for mastery of certain topics.

Culling practice pages from a variety of sources and providing differentiation will really advance your students. It will definitely require a lot more time to plan and grade this. But I bet you will see some excellent results.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2010

I use enVisions.

I use some things from it, but am very glad that we are not tied to following it day-to-day!

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 23, 2010

sounds like a good plan. Do you have any hands on things you could include? It seems like you lack manipulative use.

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2010

Most of what we do is hands-on.
    If I do 3 rotations during math group time, 2 are usually hands on (meet with me and then a game/manipulative activity).

I am trying to figure out how to have meaningful independent seatwork that meets everyone's needs... (for the 3rd rotation at group time).

During choice times (when they are finished with other work) our math games and manipulative activities are usually options. But last year after I stopped doing math packets, the kids usually asked for more math seatwork! I had 4 or 5 that would take it out for recess if I let them!

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2010

I think it's the word "packet" that makes it feel like there isn't hands on.

11. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

Yea, I got the same feeling! We hate our workbooks that come with Investigations, so we decided not to order them this year. We supplement a lot, but the nice thing about Investigations is all the manipulatives it includes. I also do a lot of "virtual math manipulatives" on the Smartboard:
    http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/vlibrary.html

I normally do a whole group lesson, then they do a short worksheet to work on the skill (I am lucky enough to have another teacher that comes in the second half of math to help)... this is when I am able to do some one-on-one or small group remediation, and then when they have finished their paper, they may choose a math game.

I too still have not figured out how I really want to do Math. I constantly feel like I am not differentiating as much as I could be. I am also going to have to plan a little differently for next year since I will not only have an extra teacher during math time, but also an aide!