Math help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by stacey19, Aug 17, 2013.

1. stacey19

stacey19 Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

This is my first year teaching fourth grade. The books are not in yet and I have no idea where to start. Help!

3. stacey19

stacey19 Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

Need advice on math

This is my first year in fourth grade. Our math books are not in yet and we have no curriculum maps. I don't know where to start. Help!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

Could you start with an assessment of their skills? Find areas of weakness and work on reinforcing those skills until the books come in. When are the books coming in?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 17, 2013

Check your state's content standards for fourth-grade math - they should be online, or perhaps you already have a copy - and search for anything your school or district or county (in that order) have by way of scope and sequence for math for the grade.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 17, 2013

(Oh, and please don't launch multiple threads on the same topic at the same time in different forums. A to Z policy strongly discourages that; the site owner believes that it's better to keep the discussion in one place. I've merged the threads.)

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

Contact someone at your school...math coach, another teacher, etc who was there last year. They should be able to guide you. You could look at both common core and sunshine state standards and see what they say for 4th grade. I have typically begun the school year in 4th with a unit on place value.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

As a 4th grade teacher in California, I would suggest looking at their thinking regarding addition, subtraction, and number sense. I start here first almost every year.

I would ween yourself off the "books" and dive into your standards and the current instructional level of your students. Use the books as a resource. I would suggest looking into john van de walle books for a jumping point.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 17, 2013

I'd say start with Place Value. They should already know the ones, tens, and hundreds. Review that and then go on to the thousands, ten thousands, and hundred thousands. Last, go on to the millions.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 17, 2013

stacey19,

If you decide you want to start with place value, pm me with your email address and I'll be glad to send you my Place Value study guide and practice sheets. They might help until your text books arrive.

-Rain

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2013

It's a perfect time to refresh their multiplication and division skills.

12. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Aug 17, 2013

Number sense/place value is the way to go. Begin with a diagnostic test and we also give 5 minute timed pretests in all basic facts. I start out the year with a review of place value, standard form, word form, and expanded form to the thousands, then use that as a foundation to teach to the millions. After that we compare numbers in all forms, round to any place, and do lots and lots of practice adding and subtracting numbers to the millions place. In addition to all this, we are working on having the kids be able to explain everything and use a lot of writing in math. I also use math as the time to begin taking short daily notes in a math journal. Oh, and I also start teaching math games that will eventually become independent stations from the first day of school - card games, dice games, etc. mostly to practice basic facts. You will be astonished at how much kids need to practice their subtraction facts at this age. Addition is usually pretty solid, some will have a good handle on multiplication, and most will know very little about division, as that is a huge focus in 4th grade (although some may have been introduced to it in 3rd...) Hope this helps, I have found some great resources on super teacher worksheets. Good luck! Math is the bomb!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

14. stacey19

stacey19 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013

Thanks everyone. This is the first year this school is having a fourth grade and I am the ONLY fourth grade teacher. So there is no help from anyone. I have to help myself :)

15. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

If you are looking for materials. I would suggest the following:
    1. www.edhelper.com (the best $20 you'll ever spend)
    2. teacherspayteachers (some have some very good materials)

I always feel the 3 best areas to start with 4th graders are: place value, regrouping/borrowing subtraction problems (i.e. 403-275) (They are taught this in 3rd grade, but many forget over the summer.), and multiplication/division facts.

Also, we give a thorough math assessment on the 4th day of school. This always tells me a lot. See if your school has something like this.

4th grade is a great age to teach. Enjoy!

16. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

I agree with starting with some number sense and place value opportunities. Maybe even some more open ended questions and allow the students to present their ideas.

17. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

Are you using the Common Core? If so Google the resources for your grade level put out by the state of GA. Congrats on the job!