Math help for ELL

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Touchthefuture, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jan 2, 2010

Hi,
    I need any help that I can get here. I have 3-4 ELL students that are struggling with counting forward, backwards, skip-counting, and place value. I have tried many strategies. When I work with them in a small group they seem to et it. As soon as we have a test they fail. HELP!:help:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2010

Is it the math or the language that is causing them trouble? Do they have these skills in their first language? Can they demonstrate the concepts using manipulatives or a number line?

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jan 2, 2010

I think it is the Math not the language. I have never questioned them about counting in the 1st language so I am not sure. I have seen them use manipulatives and a number line with success. They are even allowed to use them during an assessment. They are having difficulty with number patterns like this:

490, 489, ____, 487, 486, ____
    24, 26 ____, 30, ____ 34

They cannot fill in the blank.

As for place value when you ask them what place a digit is in they are always guessing. And they do not know what a 4 in the 10s place is 40.

5. caliteach78

caliteach78 Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

I have the place values poster on the board at all times. Maybe if it's hanging you can show them exactly where to look when they need help or place a smaller copy on their desk for tests. Some of my ELL and LD students have mini charts, or a number line, or a place value chart on their desk to refer to at all times. They need a lot of modeling. Maybe you can give them modified tests? You can have them explain it to you and show them how to write the answers? Good Luck!