Math Games

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissE, Oct 4, 2006.

1. MissE

MissE Rookie

Oct 4, 2006

There was already a wonderful post on Spelling games.....So I thought that we'd give it a try with Math games. If you know any good math games please share them. I know we are all always looking for something fun to do with those extra few minutes at the end of the class or day.....so please post some math games!!!!

One game that my students love...which I'm sure everyone already knows is AROUND THE WORLD. It starts with two players. The teacher shows a flash card. Whichever student answers the problem correctly first moves onto compete with the person in the next seat. The game ends when someone makes it all the way around the room and back to their seat again. :cool:

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 4, 2006

Forehead Math Game

I have never used this with my kindergartners but I think it is a great game for the older kids. It is a great way to practice math facts for addition, missing addends, multiplication, missing factors, etc:

1. 3 students (1 teacher, 2 students)
    2. about 20 numbered playing cards, uno cards, etc.
    3. teacher player places card on the foreheads of the two students.
    4. teacher player says the sum or product
    5. first student to guess what is on his/her forehead wins both cards
    6. student with the most cards becomes the new teacher

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2006

I had a sub in a Senior Homeroom. They asked to play their traditional game of "Buzz." Not knowing what they were talking about, I said no-- it sounded as though it had to do with drinking :(

I asked their homeroom teacher about it; here's what it is:

The kids count. If your number is a multiple of 3, you say "Bizz" instead of the number. If your number is a multiple of 7, you replace the number with "Buzz." Numbers which are multiples of both are "Bizz Buzz" and the direction changes.

So: 1,2, bizz, 4,5, buzz, 8,bizz, 10,11, bizz, 13, buzz.....

Try to make it go quickly and it sounds like fun.

PS: In college it WAS a drinking game; get one wrong and you did a shot! It got much harder after midnight!!!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 4, 2006

That's so funny about the drinking game.

My kids love a variation of Four Corners that we play. Now, since they are working on number recognition I just put one number in each corner, later in the year the number is there but they have to give the math fact for which that number would be the answer. So if they wanted to choose 8 they'd say 4 + 4. Anyway, one child counts backward from 10 (or 20) and the other kids choose a corner. The counter has their eyes closed and says a number. Whoever is in that corner sits down and they count again until one person is left and they are the counter. There isn't really a strategy to it, except going to corner that was just said, thinking they wouldn't say it twice but some catch on to that pretty quickly.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 4, 2006

THis isn't inventive but we play addition/subtraction bingo. Plus we have some fraction dominos.

7. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 4, 2006

Math Bang! (Can be used for word wall words as well):
    Make a deck of math problems you're working on (15-20 cards probably) and mix in 3-5 cards that say Bang! on them. Put them face down in the middle of a group. Students go around the circle pulling a card and answering the question. If they get it correct, they keep it. If they get it wrong, it goes back into the pile. When a student picks a Bang! card he or she has to take all his/her collected cards and put them back in the middle. The bang! card stays out. Once all the cards are gone from the middle, the students count up their cards-- most cards wins. To officially win, you have to go through them and answer them all one last time. It's a great game b/c it has to do mostly with luck, not skill, so you lower students can easily beat the higher students.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 4, 2006

Math War. Modeled after the card game war, but with equations on the cards.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 4, 2006

My son last year LOVED a game called 21. There is a deck of cards that has 4 numbers on each card. You have to figure out how to make 2 equations where they both equal 21 and they both use those numbers and only those numbers. He was in 4th grade last year. While it is a game, they each also brought home a card and would figure it out as homework then go and post it on the board. It was a challenge to see who could complete all the challenges.

10. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 5, 2006

Math bingo - print your own cards with lots of math problems. Students play in groups - one reads out a number and if they have a question on their card with a matching answer, they can mark it.