Math Games

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by JAH, Aug 22, 2002.

1. JAH

JAH Guest

Aug 22, 2002

Hi,
    I am teaching a blend of 12 students, grade 3-5. In math, their abilities range from 2nd to 5th. We are looking for some math games that we can adapt for this range. Any ideas?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 23, 2002

Hi,
    There are a number of different math games I like to use.
    "Who Has" is a game for all levels because you, the teacher, creates it specifically for your class.
    Use a deck of 3x5 cards and write a number description on each. For example, always begin with the number "5", and write, "My number is "5", who has my number (+-/X) by (another number.) The students must then solve the problem through the use of mental math and the student with the card with the correct answer then reads, "My number is (the answer to the first card), who has my number (+-/X) by (another number.
    Specifically, it works like this:
    First student: My number is 5, who has my number plus 6?
    Second student: My number is 6, who has my number minus 9?
    Third student: My number is 2, who has my number plus 8?
    You can make the cards as difficult as you like depending upon the population.
    It can take a little while to create the cards, but once done, you can use them over and over.
    I usually gave the students a time limit. If they successfully completed he deck (I made enough cards so that each student had at least two cards) within 2 or 3 minutes, depending upon the difficulty level, they would not have homework.
    They really enjoyed it.
    Good Luck!

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 23, 2002

You can use dice and let the kids roll the dice. The two numbers on the dice need to be multiplied. Each Player needs to keep track of their own score. Who ever gets to 100 first wins.

You can use playing cards to play go fish, gin rummy, concentration, sequencing or patterning...
    good luck.