Math Games - Multiplication

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by hdavidson, Oct 14, 2007.

1. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Oct 14, 2007

My grade level is spending a day doing games focusing on X. There are five of us and we are each doing a different game. I am organizing it. So far I have war (the kids do the X problem for the two numbers), bingo, i have who has, around the world, anyone have another suggestion? This week the kids will also play X baseball when they go to the computer lab.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 14, 2007

We play a game called Salute. It is played in teams of three and one player is the game show host (they may need a multiplication chart if they are unsure of their facts).

Use a deck of cards with Aces through nines. Two kids pick up a card and DO NOT look at it and hold it on their forehead with the card facing out so the other player can see it. The host then announces the product of the two cards. When the two players hear the product they can see the factor on the forehead of the other player, and then they have to figure out what the factor on their card is. The first player to say their factor wins those two cards. The player with the most becomes the next host.

My class loves this game.

4. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Oct 14, 2007

Tug of War-it is a variation on Around the World because I work with all girls and sometimes they are a little put off by such competitive games. In this game you put the kids on two teams. the teams face each other like they are doing a tug of war. The teacher stands in the middle with a deck of flashcards with math facts. The teacher shows the fact to the front two students. The student who get the answer right quickest "pulls" the losing student onto their team and both students go to the back of that team's line. The next two students step foward and repeat. The game ends when one team has all the students. Thus everyone wins and it is not noticable to all of the student who is good or bad at the game, but as a teacher I can notice who never "pulls" anyone. My girls love this game so much more than around the world.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 14, 2007

I have an awesome board game called Roll and Multiply for 2 players, but it is costly.

I like this idea, by the way.

What are you going to do to challenge those who already know the majority of their x tables?

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 15, 2007

I made up a game called 10 dice roll. I will email anyone the sheet for it, if they want it. I SHOULD have it on my computer.

Anyway, this is the game... you have 10 dice.

Round 1, you roll for 2's. You roll all the dice, and pull out the ones and the 2's. 1's are worth 100 points each, and the 2's are worth 2. So if you had two 1's and eight 2's, your score is 216 for the round (the x comes in the multiples of 2)
    Round 2 is the same, but you roll for 3's, pulling out the 1's and 3's.

By the way, you continue to roll on your turn until the last time you roll ANY 1's or 2's. If on the last round you roll a 5 and a 3, you are done. You may not end up using all 10 dice in every round.
    Round 3, you roll for 4's, Round 4 for 5's and round 5 for 6's. This game only really works for facts through 6, unless you have 10 or 12 sided dice (which I use for the game.)

The sheet has them add their scores after each round, so they are also practicing addition with regrouping.

You can play this game with no 1's, and just have them roll 3 times each round and see how many of one kind they can get. With 10 dice, you can usually get a pretty good number, and will be multiplying at least 6 or more by that number. Then they still add their total up at the end.

Example of this version: ( I really recommend 12 sided dice for this game also. You can get them at game stores.)

Round 1, 2 x 7 = 14
    Round 2, 3 x 9 = 27
    Round 3, 4 x 6 = 24
    Round 4, 5 x 10 = 50
    Round 5, 6 x 5 = 30

Total: 145

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 15, 2007

My class likes Sparkle with math facts.

They make a circle around the classroom. I call out a number, such as 48. The first person would give a factor of the number, such as 6, the next person says "multipled by", the next person says "8", the next "equals", the next person "48", the next person says "Sparkle" to signal that the equation has ended. If a person misses, they have to go to the end of the circle (which we have designated) and the person who was after them in the original circle has to give the correct part of the equation. The next person in line gets a new number and the process repeats. I like it because they really have to listen to each other and there are multiple solutions.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 16, 2007

Miss Froggy, why do you use the ones die in the game? Couldn't you play without it. Sounds like a great game.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 16, 2007

I love the sound of these games. I am trying them tomorrow in homeroom first and then my math class. I have two homeroom students in math, so I know they'll be able to help the others later in the day. :)

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 16, 2007

I did that because it was an adaption from a great game my friend learned in while in Eastern Europe. We played it endlessly when she came back. I never would have thought of playing a game with ten dice before she showed me her game. Anyway, in her game you did the same thing but also pulled out the 5's to make 50 points as well as the ones. I thought that made it more complex. You could totally play without the ones. I do like that there is the adding in that version, and the multiplication.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 16, 2007

My students love Yahtzee. This is similar in a small way in the fact you are still taking your chances at getting a good roll. I am excited to try this. What does your sheet look like? You may send it here on IM to me if you'd like. :)

12. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Oct 18, 2007

Check out www.multiplication.com There are a TON of classroom games and computer games to play, plus resources.

13. MrsM1

MrsM1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2007

What kind of multiplication homework do you give as practice? I know my kids do not know their mulitiplication facts and I want them to practice them...what do I do?

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 18, 2007

Salute and Tug-O-War were a BLAST for my math class yesterday. They are excited about what Sparkle could possibly be for them, too. They've never heard of it before.

15. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Oct 26, 2007

The Array Game

Materials needed:
    1 sheet of graph paper per person
    1 dice per pair
    Colored pencils/Markers etc.

Work in pairs. Player 1 rolls die 2x. First die is teh number of squares going up or down, 2nd roll is for across. Color in the array and solve.

Then player 2 repeats the process on their sheet. Object is to get your paper filled first.

Close to 1000
    Not a X game but fun. Each player gets 7 cards. Use 4 of your cards to make the number closest to 1000

16. Mrs.Watson

Mrs.Watson Guest

Oct 28, 2007

We just started the multiplication and division chapter in our math books. I am going to try Salute and Tug of War this week. I know my kids love to play Multiplication Baseball from our math series (Everyday Math). Another 4th grade teacher just told me she came across Multiplication Basketball and Football, but I haven't had a chance to check them out.

17. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 28, 2007

Students love to play SKUNK.
    Each letter of the work SKUNK makes a column and is a round. Each student in the class stands. Teacher rolls the dice. The students then have to add or multiply the dice and they get that many points. Now each student has to decide if they want to remain standing or sit down because if a one is rolled those who are standing lose their points for that round and the round ends. Play then goes to the next letter or round. Students can decide at any time in each round to sit down and save their points or stay and risk them. If two ones are rolled, those who are standing lose their points for the whole game. The students learn strategy and review math facts at the same time.

18. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 28, 2007

Mad Minutes ---We start them at the beginning of the third grade. Addition, next subtraction and when we start multiplication we don't give any more add and sub Mad Minutes. Students must get 20 correct in one minute. This makes students stop counting on their fingers, using point math and number lines. If they get 20 correct they get a piece of candy from the candy jar. (a small piece of individual wrapped candy) They like those fruit square things You get a package of them and put in
    a pretty jar with a lid. Can't think of the name of them. We use
    flashcard drills. Sort out the 0s and they must get them all correct in 40 seconds. And they get a piece of candy. Than we do the 1s in 40 seconds and earn a piece of candy. Oh, yes they are easy, but they had success and you have their attention and you are building self esteem. After we go thru all the flashcards including 10s. We go to the Mad Minutes. Get gumball machine and gumballs at the Dollar Store cheap. If they improve by 3 they get another gumball We do a five minute timing on one hundred facts at the beginning of the year and at the end of each grading period. These are test and stay in their personal file folders in the teachers file cabinet. Now when we start multiplication facts. We do the flashcard thing except this time we work of a banana split party. 0s=napkin, 1s=spoon, 2s=dish, 3s=banana 4s= ice cream 5s=toppings chocolate, strawberry and butterscotch, 6s= crushed Oreo
    cookies 7s=whipped topping 8s= sprinkles 9s=a cherry on top. 10s
    = nuts.... Get at Dollar Store also cheap. They earn a certificate at the end of year assembly with the number of facts they mastered in one minute in each addition, multiplication and subtraction.